View Single Post
Old 04-08-2020, 06:01 PM   #681 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,413 Times in 3,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teoman View Post
When the hell did we become so obsessed with BS and nonsense?!?!! The narrator does not have a single sentence that you could remove. No BS, just the facts.

I know this is the right place for the video. So my question is: is the video boring and outdated? And my answer would be «absolutely no! ». And my counter question would be: are you interested in this subject, and do you think that you should be educated in this subject.

My conclusion is, Maybe education should not try to entertain or to self promote and just try to educate.
Most people don't have an interest in how things work, at least not beyond the bare minimum to accomplish what it is they want to accomplish. That means most people are only interested to know that a vehicle has power steering, not how it operates.

That said, I assume this is an engineering class, and if so, should contain self-selected people who are interested in how things work. Those that are interested in how things work would find the video interesting.

People who aren't interested in a subject need a reason to be interested, and that's where all the fluff comes in. In classrooms containing students who did not choose the curriculum (K-14th grade), that fluff is important to help a student become interested.

I'm interested in how everything works, so I found the video interesting (skimmed through it to save time). It's not important for me or most people to know.

My conclusion is that passionate educators are most effective at fostering passion in their students. The video lacks passion, and doesn't have humor, or mnemonics, or other memory aids.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!