Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2020, 06:01 PM   #681 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,397 Times in 3,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teoman View Post
When the hell did we become so obsessed with BS and nonsense?!?!! The narrator does not have a single sentence that you could remove. No BS, just the facts.

I know this is the right place for the video. So my question is: is the video boring and outdated? And my answer would be «absolutely no! ». And my counter question would be: are you interested in this subject, and do you think that you should be educated in this subject.

My conclusion is, Maybe education should not try to entertain or to self promote and just try to educate.
Most people don't have an interest in how things work, at least not beyond the bare minimum to accomplish what it is they want to accomplish. That means most people are only interested to know that a vehicle has power steering, not how it operates.

That said, I assume this is an engineering class, and if so, should contain self-selected people who are interested in how things work. Those that are interested in how things work would find the video interesting.

People who aren't interested in a subject need a reason to be interested, and that's where all the fluff comes in. In classrooms containing students who did not choose the curriculum (K-14th grade), that fluff is important to help a student become interested.

I'm interested in how everything works, so I found the video interesting (skimmed through it to save time). It's not important for me or most people to know.

My conclusion is that passionate educators are most effective at fostering passion in their students. The video lacks passion, and doesn't have humor, or mnemonics, or other memory aids.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-08-2020, 09:35 PM   #682 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,624 Times in 7,103 Posts
I think that post would be a better fit in ecomodder.com: benefits-covid-19-a-

Scott Adams explained why normal flu case have fallen; there is a yearly lag in the reporting cycle. Same as it ever was.

Headline on The Gateway Pundit: "Don't Politicize Virus - If You Don't Want More Body Bags" - Corrupt WHO Leader Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus Lectures President Trump . This is like Schumer's 'six ways to Sunday' threat.

Isn't withdrawing financial support a financial decision as much as a political one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tedros_Adhanom
Quote:
Political party: Tigrayan People's Liberation Front
Other political affiliations:Ethiopian People's Revolutionary Democratic Front
What you call a piece of work.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:50 AM   #683 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,219 Times in 1,710 Posts
I think that people are fatigued from coronavirus news, while we are trying to stay safe, but did you guys see that Ted Bundy (or was it Al?) was threatening violence if the good people in Idaho weren't allowed to peaceably assemble (and die)?

As far as I know, more people died today than ever, but I did not even look at the number, despite my giant spreadsheet.

Eh. I will catch up. Maybe we are peaking. Maybe we aren't. Either way this will not be over soon.

Some people have wondered if Turnip is pushing fishtank products so hard because he stands to gain financially. Snopes says this is negligible. I think that he is just betting everything on something that has a chance to win, even though the odds are rather long.

From what I saw today our best hope lies in antibodies from people who already recovered. I think that I have been seeing this for a couple of weeks, but if they can identify 100,000 people who overcame coronavirus, each donated a pint, and the antibodies from that pint could help one person recover, that would really help everyone.

"Hey, we will give you these antibodies that will really help you recover, but you need to donate once everything is better."
"Nah, I am getting used to dying."

I thought this was clever, but people just downvote me whenever I try to come up with something:

I just updated my Middle of Nowhere thread. I saw one job opening providing support for Noom. It just does not list the pay. That would probably fit better in a more recent thread, but I feel that was taken over by trolls.

Did you guys see how much Costco's sales jumped over previous Marches?

I did not really see any articles today. I did not do any teletherapy, but finally scheduled two kids that I have been trying to reach for a week or two, and I tracked down e-mail addresses for most of my families. The last step is to call everyone again, but using *67 first.

I wonder how many people would answer [private], but now a local phone number.

I also finally dropped off packets for the families that do not want teletherapy.

I was supposed to do that a week or two ago. I will put together packets for everyone so when they finish I can get them another right away.

Also, scheduling in Zoom is complicated. There is a very simple method through the program, but it does not send out the invitations. You need to log in through the website and invite that way. It feels like far too many steps and it took far too long to schedule ten kids, but anyway, it feels like I am catching up, but I have two days to write my progress reports for my other job, and those are all weird and complicated now.

Oh. Someone please remind me to wish my first supervisor a happy birthday. She kept asking for updates almost two weeks ago when I was writing notes as fast as possible, but she has been fine since, while the other one is micromanaging.

Anyway, I hope that you guys are well. Please stay safe!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cODDKf0.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	27857  

Old 04-09-2020, 03:32 AM   #684 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Did you guys see how much Costco's sales jumped over previous Marches?
Anyway, I hope that you guys are well. Please stay safe!
everything in between would have fit better in the Nowhere thread.
Quote:
Some people have wondered if Turnip is pushing fishtank products so hard because he stands to gain financially. Snopes says this is negligible. I think that he is just betting everything on something that has a chance to win, even though the odds are rather long.
Some people have wondered why you would push this discredited hoax. He suggested they look at the sulphate not the posphate. Maybe she didn't hate her husband and just never paid attention in Chemistry class?

And Snopes is hardly a respectable source of opinion. Do you know about those people?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDG
Snopes on brink as founder accused of fraud and lying ...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...aud-lying.html
Fraud claims: In legal papers, Snopes founder David Mikkelson is accused of fraud against the company by its co-owners, who say he put his honeymoon with second wife Elyssa Young on expenses and ...

The Daily Mail Snopes Story And Fact Checking The ... - Forbes
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kalevle...fact-checkers/
Dec 22, 2016Snopes itself has not issued a formal response to the article and its founder David Mikkelson responded by email that he was unable to address many of the claims due to a confidentiality clause in ...
Snopes Faces an Ugly Legal Battle - The Atlantic
https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...snopes/534708/
Snopes began in the early 1990s as a small website built by the husband-and-wife team of David and Barbara Mikkelson. ... The founders divorced in 2015, some titillating details of which became ...
They're bottom-feeders like the SPLC.
Quote:
I thought this was clever, but people just downvote me whenever I try to come up with something:
Try substituting Johnny Depp and Amber Heard.

Quote:
Most people don't have an interest in how things work, at least not beyond the bare minimum>>>>>
That said, I assume this is an engineering class, and if so, should contain self-selected people who are interested in how things work. Those that are interested in how things work would find the video interesting.
The title page of the Army training film says MCMLV, DDG says that's 1955. Those people were drafted.

If t'wer 1945, that might have been Ronald Reagan narrating.

In other news Styxhexenhammer ends his video with "I'm having a great day. How about you? Peace out." I think he should make that regular.

OTOH I had to add RIP to my signature line. But Willy is still kicking.

Quote:
Willie Nelson has quit marijuana smoking after breathing ...
https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...es/2604719001/
Dec 4, 2019Willie Nelson says he has puffed his final joint.. The country music legend and longtime marijuana legalization advocate, still touring at 86, told San Antonio's television station KSAT that for ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFA
In his KSAT interview, Nelson said he didn't care that his health issues have been a constant source of internet speculation.

"I’m here; I’m glad to be here,” he said. “I’m lucky to be here.”

Last edited by freebeard; 04-09-2020 at 03:50 AM..

Old 04-09-2020, 12:16 PM   #685 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,219 Times in 1,710 Posts
I obviously didn't push it, I just mentioned it, but if you say we cannot believe Snopes, you are saying the rumor is true?

Old 04-09-2020, 12:51 PM   #686 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Okay, Some people have wondered why you would mention this discredited hoax. Better?

Believe what you like, I suggest that trusting a biased source like Snopes is suboptimal. What Tim Pool uses is NewsGuard: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NewsGuard. An interesting experiment I don't care to do would be to turn NewsGuard on Snopes.

Maybe someone who floated the rumor in the first place would promote a quack cure for a few dollars, but it is unlikely that someone who loves our country as much as our President would do so. Occam Razor: more likely someone is spreading FUD.

Old 04-09-2020, 01:06 PM   #687 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...treatment.html

>

Old 04-09-2020, 01:19 PM   #688 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

"News" that says Trump is financially motivated to mention a therapy is pure garbage (just like 80% of "news").

It's quite obvious that Trump loves this country, and people that don't see that are blinded by their allegiance to their political ideologies. That he loves himself the most, or that he's wrong about some things does not diminish that fact.

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
freebeard (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 01:22 PM   #689 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,076 Times in 1,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
....., but it is unlikely that someone who loves our country as much as our President would do so....
You are trying some comedy to lighten the mode?

Donald Trump loves Donald Trump and being the center of attention. It is the one thing he has been consistent about for decades.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (04-16-2020), Xist (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 01:58 PM   #690 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
You are trying some comedy to lighten the mode?

Donald Trump loves Donald Trump and being the center of attention. It is the one thing he has been consistent about for decades.
As I said above, two (or more) things can be true at the same time. I'd say Trump loves the USA more than the typical political figure. Heck, there's some politicians that have outright contempt for the US. How they make a political career here reflects poorly on their constituents.

Closed Thread  Post New Thread