View Single Post
Old 04-12-2020, 05:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Ah okay. I'd just go open loop at a lower MAP if you're worried. 700mbar is not that high though, I think your engine will be fine. I really don't think burning anything up is an issue, because engines running with cooled EGR have even slower burning mixtures. The peak flame temperature theoretically increases, but you have less and slower heat release so there isn't as much heat for the piston to absorb in the first place.
That's what I was thinking, but it's good to have that reinforced.

[QUOTE=serialk11r;621493]It would help to raise your compression ratio to provide a blanket increase in combustion speed to compensate for the slower lean burn but I suppose that's not an option. [quote]

The easiest way to bump compression would be with a thinner head gasket, but the piston-valve clearance is already extremely close. I'd probably want to replace the pistons with some that have deeper reliefs. So, not an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
For my future S2k I might just use a narrowband emulator and run modestly lean to make things easy. The issue with that engine is the stock tune runs at ~13 AFR at WOT, so there's not a lot of room to lean it out for cruising, maybe 5% at best, which is incidentally about where ignition timing needs to be changed before efficiency drops.
Seems reasonable!

I'd love an S2000 but prices are beyond silly. For similar money, I think I'd take a K-swapped Miata right now. Have your eye on one in particular?