View Single Post
Old 04-24-2020, 03:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Are drive-ins experiencing a temporary resurgence?

The cars need to park 6' apart?

There is one drive-in left in the Phoenix area and they are currently going strong. Four more drive-ins have popped up recently with various arrangements. One farm that does events says they cannot advertise the name of the movie before people buy their ticket, but people can find someone to buy their spot on Facebook.

Can the first people to buy tickets announce what movie is showing?

Amid COVID-19, drive-in movies are popping up around the Valley

Quote:
[A]s of April 18, fewer than 25 of the approximately 320 drive-ins across the country remained open.
Las Vegas Drive-In selling tickets for Thursday night They own the drive-in in Phoenix and also reopened their location in Sacramento, but their other locations remain closed.

Indiana: Plymouth drive-in opening for the season starting Friday

Quote:
Last week, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said he was considering allowing drive-ins to reopen, as regular theaters stay shut amid the coronavirus lockdown.
Drive-in movie theaters poised for a comeback amid coronavirus crisis

I heard of theaters showing movies in the parking lot, but none of those articles mentioned it, and I did not see other articles.

Weird. I specifically searched for it and found restaurants doing it, including in Arizona: Restaurants Are Turning Their Parking Lots into Drive-In Movie Theaters

A drive-in opened up on North Carolina was shut down for violating the stay-at-home order and being a non-essential business:

Show Low has a 5-screen theater with a small parking lot:
They could show to five or ten vehicles on each side?

There is an eight-screen theater half an hour away:
That could show to a couple dozen vehicles on each side. That theater also has a couple of restaurants in the parking lot, unlike in Show Low, which just has a gas station across the street.

Our old Kmart has a big and empty parking lot with an Arby's on the far corner [and a Safeway on the other side]:
What I really like is that the parking lot slopes towards the building.

Using Google's scale [bottom-right corner], it looks like the main parking area is about 320 x 190.

You could fit about 100 vehicles in there, maybe more, with 10' in between, if you could get permission, equipment, and enough people who want to watch the same movie.

Then I charge myself an exorbitant amount to pick up litter?

Bathrooms.

There is really no solution to bathrooms. Rent a bathroom trailer and have a restroom guard that only allows one family at a time and sprays down all of the surfaces between families?

Where would I get the Lysol? I could use RV toilet paper.

Would $2 1L bottles of soda finance that?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Show Low theater.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	27932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pinetop theater.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	27933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kmart theater.jpg
Views:	174