View Single Post
Old 04-24-2020, 03:05 PM   #48 (permalink)
COcyclist
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
For what it is worth, COCyclist's rims are a little like the "thick radius" rims, but they are not the same. The openings are larger and longer, extending further out from the center. A maxim to remember: each car is different, YMMV, and be skeptical of how any test applies to your vehicle.

If COCyclist is digging the OEM look and feels confident they give him good results, I don't think it is "heresy" (or a "myth" "busted")
In one of the studies Julian cites, disk brake diameter to wheel inner diameter influences overall drag greatly. The styling trend toward "Dubs" is the worst offender. In the photo you linked, the 15" alloy rim fits very near the disk if you look closely. Could this make the combination perform more like the vented rims from Tesla, Honda and VW???

FWIW I do dig the GTI Mininlite look. Most of my mods are very stealthy and would not even be noticed at a casual glance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.