View Single Post
Old 04-26-2020, 07:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I am unsure to what you refer regarding the ex-con, the house with some bars on the windows? We couldn't keep Dad's car and offered to drop it off, but they refused to talk to us, and then suddenly his car was gone.

One day I hope to be able to afford a 2012 Focus SFE.

If I bought a house using a VA loan I could put 20% into a rental house!

The VA loan program is great, but it requires the seller to fix every problem they can find, every problem the inspector finds, and then to pay for another inspection. A Veteran friend said that it made much more sense to use another program and refinance with a VA loan. That way you can buy a fixer-upper and save tons of money [by never fixing it]!

It was depressing how much stuff was broken at his house [and stayed broken].

First of all, one problem that I have with houses around here is depicted in this picture:

Even in Afghanistan we had central HVAC!

I am not sure that I would have considered this home. There is only one good picture of the outside and it looked unusual, but I did not pay much attention to the description until I read "feels like a site-build home."

It always frustrates me how I exclude empty lots and manufactured homes, yet Zillow always shows me lots and manufactured homes. I cannot specify homes with central heating, but I can require the listings to have air conditioning, as accurate as Zillow is.

This has been up for five days, it is pretty close to Mom's house, and this isn't the first time that I have wondered how Mom's house would be if the front room were extended even with the garage [it is L-shaped, not U-shaped].

[Mom's garage sticks out 10' past the rest of the house. Dad used to talk about spending Mom's inheritance to expand into the backyard, but expanding the front room, moving the kitchen wall 5', and making my room just as big as my brother would be great!]

They are currently asking $189,000, but things weren't selling well before TPgate.

Are you ready for some numbers?

There are probably dozens of banks that issue VA loans, but I doubt this one would qualify. Navy Federal says "Interest rate as low as 2.875%."

First, that is for a 15-year loan. It is a whopping 3% for a 30-year loan. They say that monthly payments would be $796.83 with a 3% morgtage.

They say "Interest rate as low as 2.375%" for a conventional fixed-rate loan, but it is also at least 2.875% for 30 years. That requires at least a 5% down payment, which everybody knows would be $9,450.

$744.46 a month at 3.05%. Funny how payments are lower when you pay more up front.

Putting those same numbers into Zillow it guesses that I would pay $114 a month in mortgage insurance, totaling $858.46--but Navy Federal says "No Private Mortgage Insurance Required."

They have a Military Choice loan "Ideal choice for servicemembers, reservists and veterans who have already exhausted their VA loan benefit. Interest rate as low as 4.000%"

That would have a payment of $902.31--21.2% more than putting down 5% and having a better rate--$56,826 more over 30 years.

Honestly, I would go for something just because it has Military in the name, but not if it costs that much more!

Then there is the Homebuyers Choice loan: "Available to qualified buyers with no down payment required. Interest rate as low as 4.125%"

With $0 down that would be $915.44 a month.