View Single Post
Old 04-29-2020, 05:03 PM   #113 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Also most people underestimate what they spend on their house by leaving out the maintenance and other home related expenses. Things like a lawnmower, line trimmer, yard tools. I remember when I closed on our first house we were pretty tapped out from coming up with the down payment and closing expenses. We moved in and I looked at the grass and said "crap, now I have to go buy a lawn mower to cut this 1 acre lot" I couldn't afford a rider so I cut that lot for more than a year with a little walk behind.

Mint tells me I have spend $9,416 at Home Depot, $1,153 at Lowes, and $5,971 on a heat pump in the last 5 years. That is $276 a month.
The old man we bought our house from just wanted rid of all of his crap. Not only did he leave us his riding mower and snow blower, but also cabinets full of dishes and even some furniture. I'm still cleaning some of it out a year later.

~

We put in a mini split a few months after moving in, which nicely handles half of the house. I want to say it was around $2000 for a unit with a 40 SEER rating, and the heat really cranks even when it's subzero outside. Couldn't be happier. Central ducted units are for the birds.