View Single Post
Old 04-30-2020, 10:07 AM   #20 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
I think the imports tried to over Americanize their trucks.

The fed should burn the individual state tail pipe emissions requirements. States like California have been trying to regulate exhaust emissions to clean their smoggy air for 50 years and it hasn't worked. Yes there is less smog compared to decades past, but they still come at worst air quality in the nation, so literally everyone has been able to clean their air better than California without their own emissions standards. So the only thing that will work is pollution exportation, generate power and air pollution up north and in other states and send it to the smog capitals.

They could. All congress has to do is change the Clean Air Act. I doubt they will considering doing that after the current administration attempts to roll back pollution standards for land, water, and air. 13 states follow CARB standards and they make up about 40% of the US population. They have a general goal to accelerate pollution standards not relax them.

I don't quite follow your logic though. How does getting rid of the tailpipe emission regulations in California combined with producing electricity in Northern states and exporting it to California clean up their air? That doesn't even factor in that California's standards are the same as Federal Standards today.

The problem is mostly from rapidly increasing vehicle miles as shown in this graph from the EPA. Image if pollution tracked the vehicle miles curve instead of actually declining

PM2.5 pollution in California is mainly a LA problem. A sprawling city, without effective public transportation, with more than 18 million people sitting in gridlock in their cars. How do you fix that by allowing cars to pollute more and shifting some power generation out of state (which they have already done)

California Pollution by area from Union of Concerned Scientists below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	California Polluton.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	27981