View Single Post
Old 05-11-2020, 02:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
roll down

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilson4web View Post
Hi

Recently we were discussing the HP-to-road power in a thread over at PriusChat. So I posted a recent chart showing the power required for a Volt vs Prius Plug-In (PiP):

One of the posters correctly pointed out that my chart projects ~27 hp at 100 mph. Obviously something is wrong as this is off by a factor of four. Perhaps you' all can spot my error?

I'm using the following:
Now in the past, I've used an OBD scanner to record ICE rpm and MG1 torque to calculate shaft HP. This has been in fine agreement with the specs for our NHW11 (2003 Prius.) So I need to repeat this analysis using the EPA roll down coefficients and compare. But I'm really scratching my head on this one.

Any thoughts?

The reason this is important is the title of the thread,"64% of Prius Power gets to wheels during max acceleration?" The original poster is using some raw acceleration numbers and the vehicle weight to calculate the HP-to-road metric and found only 64% is getting there. This suggests an exceptional transmission efficiency loss.

Understand, I'm OK with this as it may provide more insights about Prius transmission efficiency . . . if we can find independent confirmation. Unfortunately, I did a bad thing . . . loaned out my 2010 Prius OBD scanner. This one can read out ICE rpm and MG1 torque providing the raw HP data at the input to the transmission.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson
I've never heard of a 'roll down' coefficient.Can you expand on that?