View Single Post
Old 05-13-2020, 03:34 AM   #25 (permalink)
JulianEdgar
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
edit:
Maybe you could look at this thread: ecomodder.com/.../index-phil-knox-aerodynamics-seminars-mod-data-lists-7118.html from 2009.
I started to, but there was so much that was wrong / outdated / irrelevant I gave up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Anything that can't be falsified should still be valid. No?
It's a nice idea, but no, it's not valid.

Specific example: Aerohead's understanding of how car shape influences drag works for the BMW 2002 (and notchback cars of a similar age), but is completely wrong for current cars. This in turn leads him to give quite incorrect advice as to how apparently low drag shapes create lift - or don't, as the case may be.

And there are many other examples.

I have no idea of Aerohead's circumstances, but in an area like car aero, if you stop reading any material after Hucho second edition, you're likely (to a greater or lesser degree) to be wrong in multiple areas in any advice you give.

I agree with what I have read from Aerohead on coastdown testing, and testing of models in wind tunnels without taking into account Reynold's numbers inconsistencies.

But so much of other material that he states - usually with no qualifications at all - is simply garbage.

And garbage that I think is dressed up in high falutin' language that gives it false credibility. (But as a teacher of writing, that might be just my unwarranted bias.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
freebeard (05-13-2020), MeteorGray (05-13-2020)