View Single Post
Old 05-15-2020, 11:24 AM   #41 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
On page 22,Fig.1.12.,of Hermann Schlicting's 'Boundary-Layer Theory',you'll find a complete pressure profile of a streamline body,presented originally by Fuhrmann.
You'll notice the positive static pressure acting on both the nose and tail,allowing for zero lift.
On page 23,Fig.1.14. you'll find a complete pressure profile of a Zhukovskii wing section,demonstrating a zero-lift condition (just as the 118-families of wing sections listed in Theory of Wing Sections) ,after the research of A. Betz.
If 'the exception proves the rule',then,when you make statements about the existence of lift for wings and streamline bodies,you'll want to include all the qualifying caveats/conditions.
Caveats and conditions is what one comes to understand better through practical experience, more study, more practical experience... I wonder if aerohead has that... Let's see:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I am university trained in both aerodynamic and hydrodynamic measurement.My senior project (thesis) involved the aerodynamic streamlining of my VW Transporter,which yielded an increase in highway fuel economy,from 27-mpg,to 35-mpg.For nearly 6-years,I earned my daily bread making these measurements.I orchestrated the wind tunnel testing of the Cd 0.11 Becker-Lyon,BMW,LSR motorcycle streamliner.I hold two USFRA speed records.Since 1986,I've probably been part of only a rarified community of motorists incorporating a relative-wind-seeking,slewing pitot-tube/airspeed indicator.
Since my projects mimic vehicles which have already been analyzed by simultaneous recordings of 42-pressure tap/manometer readings,drilling my car full of holes,and bankrupting myself purchasing hardware would be folly.I've been happy enough to spend thousands of $ on 3rd-party testing.
In 1951, Sighard Hoerner reported that the average passenger car had a frontal-area-based coefficient of lift of 0.40.At 50-mph,this translated to 60-pounds lift,on a car of 4,500-pounds.
The 1935 Jaray-Adler Sportwagen was measured at Cl= 0.20,which would generate 30-pounds lift under the same conditions.
Spirit of Ecomodder indicated a Cl= 0.00591.At 135-mph she generated 8-pounds of downforce.For a 4,220-pound vehicle this is essentially a 'zero-lift' vehicle. Modelled in part,after the FKFS K-cars,which FKFS reported as 'neutral',as far as lift is concerned.
There's a reason Hucho wasn't concerned with passenger car lift,as of 1987.Can you imagine why? And can you tell the audience what has changed about Earth's atmosphere,or physics since then,that we should obsess over it now?
I thought something like this about your training was true, but I could not find the references to your training that I remembered from years past, so I stayed silent. Many people here are grateful for your participation in this forum, myself included. Members such as Julian are valued, by me, too. But I want to see more respect and less arrogance, more discussion and encouragement, less belittling and insulting. That is what I have always prefered about this forum and among the things that makes it different and better than most other car forums I have seen.

A lotta smart people here, but we're just people. Thanks.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.