View Single Post
Old 05-18-2020, 09:05 AM   #519 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Got it all installed over the weekend.

Original parts, as they arrived in the box:

Cleaning up:

Image from above of the water pump, housing and oil heat exchanger assembly ready to be put in the car:

I was rather pleasantly surprised I was able to get to work on the accessories with the engine in the car. I'd actually wager I have an easier time working on it than 06-11 Civic Si owners.

While under the car, I realized that BOTH of my axles were missing the band clamp on the inner boot, and that they had slung grease all over my clean engine bay. Got that fixed.

The stud for the oil filter was particularly difficult to get out. I ended up cutting a notch through it and using a crowbar to get it started. Reports online suggested most people can make due with some channel locks or vice grips.

From the top, it looks just like it did, really not much to see from pictures. Following this, I changed the oil, moving from a 0w30 to a 0w20. Going to send a sample out to Blackstone. Over ~7k miles there was zero measurable oil consumption.

And what did I do with my new-found economy superpowers, but hitch up my trailer and use the car to fetch construction materials from a big box store and my local lumber yard. Chances are good this tank won't look any better than the last, given how I tend to use the car lately.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (05-18-2020)