View Single Post
Old 05-19-2020, 06:34 PM   #24 (permalink)
COcyclist
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTDI View Post
The most economic way to accelerate with a small TDI: give enough throttle -> 3/4 is ideal. Never pedal to he metal, only if it's really necessary. Rev it up quickly to 2.200 rpm and upshift. Reving it above 2.500 rpm - in normal circumstances - is pointless. The 'cheapest', most effective power is concentrated between 1.500 - 2.500 rpm.
I agree except for “Never pedal to the metal”. I occasionally do a full throttle blast in 4th or 5th to keep the turbo linkages from getting sticky and to blow the accumulated oil out of the intercooler. In my car with no DPF you can see the cloud of soot behind me in the rear view mirror. Once it is cleared out, it runs clean even on subsequent hard pulls. I’m sure full throttle pulls are not helping mileage at that time but it “feels” like the car runs better afterward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.

Last edited by COcyclist; 01-04-2024 at 10:29 AM..