View Single Post
Old 05-23-2020, 04:27 PM   #507 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
I still have the "CAD" templates for this flat spoiler that showed a benefit in coast down testing at El Mirage last July. I want to rebuild it in slightly refined form and test it again. I have two great flat stretches of freeway in the region. One at El Mirage, and a new one along the central coast beach. Hmmm ... testing in the midday July sun in the High Desert or in the sea breeze on the coast?

Below are some shots of last year's templates on the car last year. I wanna adapt, rebuild, and re-test.

I don't want to make another fiberglass prototype like I made last summer. Instead, I am thinking ABS, HDPE, or black polymetal? Greasemonkey built this excellent kamm using ABS back in 2013:

I think I can reach that build quality, maybe. I love the bends and curves he accomplished. I also want to bend the sides of the spoiler down along the tumblehome but probably not below the level of the sidemarker lights.

In redesigning, I want to take this suggestion, too:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Any advantage to smoothing the horizontal to vertical transition?
Which would mean rounding out that sharp corner between the side plate and the decklid spoiler.

Thoughts?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Cd (07-19-2021), Ecky (05-25-2020)