View Single Post
Old 05-23-2020, 09:41 PM   #512 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The thinking is the easy part.
  • Sacrificial deck-lid you can drill and weld on?
  • Turnpike-cruiser skirts that terminate in a skeg. (forms outer [diverging] fence[s] of the difusser)
  • Fillet the junction of the spoiler and side plate. Cut the waste out of one or the other.
  • Polymetal get's my vote, but it does leave a raw edge.
I've got a pair of Nissan NX tail lights. Free if you're in the neighborhood. ...
Thanks for the offer of the taillights, but I am not in your neighborhood... all the way down here near the MX border. I have wheel well skirts and i considered connecting them to declid assembly. Not practical. I like poly metal a lot in theory, but I have never worked with it. There ought to be a way to smooth jagged edges, no?

Quote:
Simulpost!

Quote:
Get a decklid and conserve the paint-matching one. Use a single piece of Polymetal that stretches the width of the decklid and from the trailing edge of the spoiler to the rear window glass. It will be a single curve 2-3" thick in the center and make more of an airfoil than a single layer of material. Julian Edgar might approve.
Trying to picture this. Are you suggesting it would not lay flat on the decklid? The lid has some mild compound curves.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.