View Single Post
Old 05-28-2020, 05:24 PM   #23 (permalink)
JulianEdgar
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Because it would be optimized for the conditions experienced not just a calculated set of non infinite parameters. Or as aerohead calls it rolling floor effects. If you take your calculated profile and then modify it for local conditions, either the ordinates would be copies or very similar depending on how the aspect ratio is dealt with. Otoh, I have seen 1/1 aspect ratio low drag profiles and they are........ odd.
I don't understand your point. Taking an aerofoil designed for aircraft flying in ground effect as the starting point for a low drag shape for a car doesn't seem to me to make much sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
By the way, look out the window of a commercial airline in flight and notice how lumpy the upper surface is. Definitely not surgical smooth. Ditto for one piece composite or military although those are smoother.
That's right, and I'd be very surprised if the design of the practical wing shape doesn't take that surface roughness into account. (As opposed to a simulation of a perfectly smooth aerofoil.)