View Single Post
Old 06-03-2020, 10:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoCivic View Post
That is incorrect, a higher flow rate will always equal more effective cooling. With all else being equal. This is basic thermodynamics.
This is one of those automotive myths that really drive me nuts. Thank you for the detailed breakdown.

I'd like to add to it that the amount of time water spends in contact with the radiator is *always*. There is always water in the radiator, conducting heat into it, and always water in the engine block conducting heat away from it. How fast your circulate that water has nothing to do with how much time water is in contact with the heating and cooling surfaces.

What's most important is the temperature delta. How much heat is deposited in the radiator is largely dependent on the temperature difference between water and radiator. By circulating coolant faster, you better distribute heat in the system - the water in the block is a little cooler, and the water in it radiator is a little warmer, which causes improvements at both ends.

There are also some effects caused by turbulence which improve cooling as flow increases which I won't get into, but suffice to say, it's entirely a myth (for practical purposes) that removing a thermostat decreases the cooling system's effectiveness *because* the water doesn't "hang around" long enough to gain or lose heat.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (06-03-2020), EcoCivic (06-03-2020)