View Single Post
Old 06-08-2020, 01:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

The angle is only one aspect. Generally you want a diverging duct, details subject to testing and verification.
This is the chart I used for my decisions. I made the "b" type diffuser, no strakes, and 4° for zero lift and the best drag according to the model. Of course, I do not know for sure that my car gets the benefits described because I have no way to test and confirm. But given that my previous arrangement was a fully open back end in which the inside of the bumper cover was practically a parachute in the flow, I suspect I am ok. My FE on the freeway is pretty great (60s and 70s steady cruising at 60 mph on the flats). Someday I might get to test it, but that ain't now.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.