View Single Post
Old 06-09-2020, 02:01 AM   #256 (permalink)
Natalya
Engine-Off-Coast

Red 2000 Insight (2017 through 2019) - '00 Honda Insight 5MT
90 day: 64.72 mpg (US)

Red 2000 Lithium Insight (2020) - '00 Honda Insight LTO
90 day: 71.76 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Keith View Post
Worth mentioning...

HAH pack is unique in that the main terminals are live when the breaker is on. With all the other Honda NiMH packs, there is a relay that must be engaged by the car in order to make one of the terminals hot. The HAH is unique in this regard. There is a safety by which the cover can't be removed unless the switch is off, but be extremely careful working with this pack.

Additionally, the activities at Insight Central are pretty much irrelevant to the HAH. No one is working on a Lithium pack for it. No one is offering enhanced control of the battery (MIMA, OBDIIC&C, etc.), and your options are to try and fix your pack or replace it with one filled with reconditioned Honda sticks or new Chinese sticks.

If you attempt to fix your pack via the typical reconditioning process described on the interwebz, you need to be okay with repeating it every 2 weeks to 3 months depending on the condition of the battery.

Grid charge/discharge is like a better solution. IF the battery can be improved by stick cycling, this will improve it. If it can't be improved, you've wasted far less of your life wasting your time.

Good luck
Saw this a couple months late!

I did notice the main terminals as live without the car turned on, and it surprised me! (Fortunately for me I noticed this by probing them with a multimeter -- not by shorting them!)

The owner of this car is a DIY car junkie. I built a grid charger harness for the IMA and I sold him a home-built grid charger of my own, since he said he wouldn't be driving the car frequently enough.

I already know stick-level cycling is a big waste of time as compared with pack-level charge and discharge. I don't even own anything I could cycle sticks with.

In fact I ended up NOT doing any kind of discharge on it because the taps weren't super out-of-whack even after letting it sit for a couple weeks. I jsut built a wire harness, charged it once, and that was it.