View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 11:28 AM   #273 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
02-04-2007, 07:13 Pm

More pics:

(Clicky, zoomy.)

Above: the modified potbox showing the hunk of inkjet printer chassis holding the nylon gears between the actuator shaft and the $2 Radio Shack pot (plus some custom metal work for mounting everything ). Spooky how well it all fit together.

No potboxes were harmed in the hacking of this mod. Its fully reversible should we want to reinstall the forklift pot again for use with the forklift's EV-1 controller.

Installed in the car (well, "positioned" is more accurate. Needs a few more self-tapping bolts to call it "installed"). Throttle cable travel very closely matched the travel of the potbox actuator arm. Just needed to back off the throttle stop inside the car a little bit to give the cable the needed range.

The actuator arm has physical stops at "off" and "full monty". There's also a second set of stops in the internal mechanism. The return spring is also internal - we'll probably add a second on on the actuator arm.

Made cardboard mockups to play around with battery positioning (total box height = battery height including terminals). Hood reinstalled to test for clearance (about 1 1/2 inches). It's like the car was specifically built to accept 4 golf cart batteries with an inch or 2 of clearance all around. Nice.

Next step is making battery trays/hold downs. This week my brother and I are going to look at welders.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget