View Single Post
Old 06-12-2020, 01:31 AM   #268 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Your box cavity pressure measurements are interesting and encouraging, but I think your specific build might be part of the reason you got quite different results than Ali. Ali observed in his article that the effect on drag was very sensitive to other mods. There was a lot of "interdependency" (his word) between the cavity, the difuser, and wheel well covers and such. You mention that in your video, too. But your tested design is radically different from Ali's in several ways that quite possibly matter a lot. Ali's final design was much smaller and was not an extension of the side, top or undercarriage body lines. Here is the final optimized box cavity from Ali's Audi A2 test subject:

Remember that he also claimed that the carefully optimized cavity was how he was able to get even more drag reduction through a 2° difuser.

Ali presented this research at Coventry University on October 19, 2011. I downloaded it on March 29, 2012 when it was still fully available on the conference website without a password. I don't see the 2.3% drag reduction claim in the slides detailing the box cavity. I am not saying he did not make the claim, but I don't see it. Which slide is it on?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 06-12-2020 at 01:41 AM.. Reason: complete dates and correct two typos