View Single Post
Old 06-13-2020, 10:55 AM   #21 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoCivic View Post
That’s the whole point of adding flaps. At speeds where the fans aren’t needed anymore, say 40+ MPH, the fans and shroud could block the natural airflow through the radiator. The point of flaps with holes behind them is to allow natural airflow through the shroud when driving at higher speeds when the fans aren’t needed. The flaps get sucked closed when the fans are running when stopped or at low speeds and they get pushed open from pressure in the shroud when driving at higher speeds. I just don’t know if it would help much since there isn’t a lot of my radiator that is covered by the shroud, most of it is covered by the fans.
Forced air will pass right through the fans and even turn them. If you had a way to measure, you would maybe see a little power generation. You're fine. I vote no flaps.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
EcoCivic (06-13-2020)