View Single Post
Old 06-14-2020, 05:14 PM   #723 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
Another thing unique to the aerocivic is that it is likely the fastest lean burn car out there. It has the ECU from the European Civic VTEC-E that has a wider window of lean burn operation than the VX or the Insight. It will enter lean burn anytime that the engine is at normal operating temperature and the manifold pressure is above 5 to 6" Hg . It doesn't matter what the outside air temperature or rpm are or whether the VTEC is engaged. I've had it up to 91mph on a flat road in lean burn at which point it still had some available manifold pressure left before it had to drop out of lean burn (suspect it could reach 100 mph in lean burn).
That is really cool, too, but the ECU would likely be an automatic fail here. Maybe make sure that any buyer out of state knows such details or they might be pretty iritated if they come from one of the 12 states that have adopted the California emissions standards.

I still like the museum purchase idea.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.