View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 12:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
neptronix
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
I've always loved the Yaris IA when it came out, sad that Toyota is cancelling it. If choosing a new car I'd be hard pressed between a Yaris and a Fit. The Fit's excessively short gearing might kill it for me if it came down to those two.

A friend of mine totaled his in an accident with a much larger SUV who was texting and driving and the passenger area held up quite well in a crash.

How's the storage space?
I really like the fit also, especially for the better horsepower and the space. But the Yaris IA had a much better ride quality due to the abnormally tall tires. I imagine the fuel economy is better too, no?

Funny you mentioned that crash. The side of a car got hit by some ford's tires which extended far out of the wheelbase because the driver veered out of his lane unexpectedly. I heard a loud bang and immediately pulled over with him.

He said his car was shaken and he almost went over the median. All i remember is hearing a sound. I joked... 'well, it's built Toyota tough, what do you expect?'

Anyway, i have monster truck tire remains all over the driver & rear door on that side, but i can see where a column on the side held up to the impact really well. Both my doors open and close just fine. There's no functional damage to how it drives etc.

https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1593492268

I feel fortunate to have been hit in this car, versus my much lower sitting car from '96. The side panels are about as thick as an aluminum can, but the crash structure is strong af.
I always wished the car was less tall for better aero, but i'm not wishing that now.. ha!

Here's some nags about the car, for yall..

The tires are of a very proprietary size - not exactly low profile, but almost. The damn things are about $200 a pop. However because they are tall and narrow, they roll fantastically. I'm considering in the future swapping to 15" wheels.

The other achilles heel is the over sensitive tire pressure monitoring system. It will cry wolf so often that you won't trust it anymore. I just leave the TPMS light on and don't reset it because it's such a bother.

The space in the car is surprisingly good for a little sedan. It has a pretty decently sized pass through for the rear seats. I've transported several desks and such in the car, no problem. Interior room for the driver and passenger is surprisingly good too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200629_175852679.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	28555  

Last edited by neptronix; 06-30-2020 at 12:48 AM..