Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2020, 12:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital rules View Post
Oops, thought you had the auto. How many RPM's does the engine turn @ 60 MPH.

I prefer stick with 4 cylinder engines as well. Just wish my car had higher hwy gearing.
Per the tach at 60mph, 2,250 rpm.
Still has some torque to accelerate at 40mph with the AC on, despite the super putzy gearing.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-30-2020, 12:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daschicken View Post
I have been considering a Yaris iA and the CR-Z for future cars, so it is good to see reports on them! What kind of MPG did you see with the CR-Z on the test drive? How did that compare to the iA? Any other notes on how they compare?
Sorry, i bought the car 2 years ago and totally forget. I just remember being really underwhelmed. It was somewhere in the 40's.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
I've always loved the Yaris IA when it came out, sad that Toyota is cancelling it. If choosing a new car I'd be hard pressed between a Yaris and a Fit. The Fit's excessively short gearing might kill it for me if it came down to those two.

A friend of mine totaled his in an accident with a much larger SUV who was texting and driving and the passenger area held up quite well in a crash.

How's the storage space?
I really like the fit also, especially for the better horsepower and the space. But the Yaris IA had a much better ride quality due to the abnormally tall tires. I imagine the fuel economy is better too, no?

Funny you mentioned that crash. The side of a car got hit by some ford's tires which extended far out of the wheelbase because the driver veered out of his lane unexpectedly. I heard a loud bang and immediately pulled over with him.

He said his car was shaken and he almost went over the median. All i remember is hearing a sound. I joked... 'well, it's built Toyota tough, what do you expect?'

Anyway, i have monster truck tire remains all over the driver & rear door on that side, but i can see where a column on the side held up to the impact really well. Both my doors open and close just fine. There's no functional damage to how it drives etc.

https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1593492268

I feel fortunate to have been hit in this car, versus my much lower sitting car from '96. The side panels are about as thick as an aluminum can, but the crash structure is strong af.
I always wished the car was less tall for better aero, but i'm not wishing that now.. ha!

Here's some nags about the car, for yall..

The tires are of a very proprietary size - not exactly low profile, but almost. The damn things are about $200 a pop. However because they are tall and narrow, they roll fantastically. I'm considering in the future swapping to 15" wheels.

The other achilles heel is the over sensitive tire pressure monitoring system. It will cry wolf so often that you won't trust it anymore. I just leave the TPMS light on and don't reset it because it's such a bother.

The space in the car is surprisingly good for a little sedan. It has a pretty decently sized pass through for the rear seats. I've transported several desks and such in the car, no problem. Interior room for the driver and passenger is surprisingly good too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200629_175852679.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	28555  

Last edited by neptronix; 06-30-2020 at 12:48 AM..
Old 06-30-2020, 01:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.75 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neptronix View Post
The tires are of a very proprietary size - not exactly low profile, but almost. The damn things are about $200 a pop. However because they are tall and narrow, they roll fantastically. I'm considering in the future swapping to 15" wheels.
The tires are 185/60R16s right? You could use the 185/65R15s, same size as the 2nd gen Prius uses. Ecopias are great for MPG but Michelins last longer. Not sure if the lightweight Prius wheels would fit or not. Or go big and get some Enkeis!

Quote:
The other achilles heel is the over sensitive tire pressure monitoring system. It will cry wolf so often that you won't trust it anymore. I just leave the TPMS light on and don't reset it because it's such a bother.
TPMS seems to be one of the most common first world problems for most cars made within the last decade as they age, some people just bypass the system by deleting the sensors from the wheels and removing the bulb from the dash.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
Old 06-30-2020, 03:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Thalmaturge

The Tinyvan - '07 Honda Fit Sport

Spicy Italian - '13 Fiat 500 Abarth

eBike - '94 Trek Mountain Track 820
Quote:
I really like the fit also, especially for the better horsepower and the space. But the Yaris IA had a much better ride quality due to the abnormally tall tires. I imagine the fuel economy is better too, no?
The Fit's unfortunately short gearing is almost painful at highway speeds. 3k rpms at 60 mph and 3.5k at 70. Not quite as bad as an old VW bug, but getting close. Its highway mpg suffers as a result. It actually gets significantly worse gas mileage (by user data and EPA rating) than the automatic... to the tune of almost 4mpg.

The automatic will lope along at 2.5k at 70 mph... :-/

Last edited by samwichse; 06-30-2020 at 03:47 PM..
Old 06-30-2020, 04:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,511 Times in 1,551 Posts
Somehow my wife is getting phenomenal economy in her Fit. I think it's mostly because she doesn't drive over 55, but her tank averages have consistently been above 45mpg this summer. She has 185/60R15 (?) Michelin Defenders she runs around 42-45 PSI, slightly oversized and a little narrower than stock. She also failed inspection recently because she doesn't brake enough during normal driving to knock the rust off - an easy fix.

Reply  Post New Thread