View Single Post
Old 07-05-2020, 02:50 PM   #29 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Would Buckminster approve?

"The Turtle" is a collaborative prototype truck that certainly has aspects of engineering for the common good. These workers in Kumasi, Ghana define an efficient car is one that does not break often, is simply engineered for ease of repair, and can carry heavy loads across rough roads all day. But maybe the truck does pretty good on fuel, too. It is quite small and slow.

A master craftman on the site with whom the film makers spoke:

Here is one of the car builders talking about test driving the car:

The project started about 2013 when two Dutch film makers went to Ghana to follow automotive waste exports from the EU. They end up in one of Ghana's grassroots industrial districts. There they meet workers and collaborate on a vehicle that the local workers view as relevant and maximally useful.

Reports in 2013 were that the there were Dutch institutions interested in the project and an industrial training program. But it does not look like the project went any further than prototype.

I have been to a couple smaller such industrial sites in Ghana. They are amazing.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.