View Single Post
Old 09-23-2008, 09:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Bikin' Ed,

I totally agree with you. That's why I am not outright against SUVs the way some people sound like they are.

However, in the ad, they don't even HINT at any of those things.

He's the only guy in the car, there is no trailer or kayak on the roof, they don't even show groceries in back.

In fact, the only thing they make a point of is how LUXURIOUS it is.

In some ways, I think this goes to why the Prius is such a popular car. (I know there are lots of great Prius drivers on this forum, now don't get me wrong.)

Most Prius' I see driving around are FLYING past me on the road. I believe that the typical Prius driver wants to get better fuel economy, but still wants air-conditioning, plenty of seating, etc. In short, being green without making any other changes to their behavior.

Isn't the Hybrid Escalade the same thing? People want to feel better about themselves and save gas, but without making any other changes?

I think the philosophy of most people on this forum is the opposite of that - first, change your behavior (Yourself), then modify your vehicle or get a different one.

I guess that still brings me back to wondering if a Hybrid Giant SUV is a good idea or not. Is it saving fuel because people would just be driving SUVs anyways, or does it just ENCOURAGE SUV ownership because it's now more socially acceptable?

PS: I also thought it was interesting that the drivetrain on this thing is based on one from a BUS!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos