View Single Post
Old 07-23-2020, 06:02 PM   #624 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
How come the Civic gets the same fuel economy as the Fit?
The Civic uses Honda's new 1.5L turbo engine while the Fit uses the old 1.5L NA engine.

Quote:
As always, it sounds like car manufacturers try harder with more expensive models and get lazy with the entry-level ones.
Buyers expect entry level cars to be cheap which means you can't load them up with expensive tech.

Quote:
Since the vast majority of people finance, it isn't just saving $1,000 up front, but compounding interest. Google says that a manual Fit is $16,190....

Okay, Google is giving me different information than you guys. Adjust accordingly. It says $20,000 for an LX sedan with a manual transmission. Both of these were the cheapest options. ..."
Go directly to Honda for the best info. I also use the "Build page because MSRP never includes delivery charges.

The base Honda LX has a MSRP of $16,190 and a mandatory delivery charge of $955 for a total of $17,145. However nobody in the USA buys a manual anymore (2019 market share was 1%) The cheapest automatic Fit you can buy is $17,945

The base Civic comes with a CVT standard. The base Civic LX is $21,755 with delivery.

So you save $3810 buying the Fit - which is another reason Honda is getting rid of the Fit. It doesn't cost anywhere near $3810 less to build a Fit compared to a Civic. I wouldn't be surprised if Honda sells the base Fit at a loss.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Xist (07-23-2020)