View Single Post
Old 07-24-2020, 11:52 AM   #97 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTDI View Post
Probably, but there are still improvements to come for the winter.
First of all, the front 'winter grill' will heat up the engine quicker.
Secondly, I will put the car in the garage when it is getting cold again. I think there is a lot to be gained there. To heat up an engine from freezing temperatures or from room temperature should mean a big difference in fuel consumption?
Thirdly, the new lighter wheels and taller tires will make their appearance on the car in a few months.
Fourthly, I am looking into lowering the car.

Baseline, the car simply needs adjustments to further reduce consumption.
That will all likely produce better winter numbers. Parking in the garage will help a little with warm up time, but probably only marginally with fuel economy. The temperature difference is significant but not huge. A block heater would help more. Somebody on EM tested block heaters' effects on warm-up and FE, I think--maybe MetroMPG.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.