View Single Post
Old 07-24-2020, 09:47 PM   #91 (permalink)
aardvarcus
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
California98Civic,
I will try to post progress as I go. Observe away, but don't expect any metal shaping as good as the photos you shared.

Aerohead,
I will have to look up that book, I don't have any such books so it would be nice to have a reference.

Freebeard,
I don't yet have a nylon hammer, I will have to add that to the list to keep an eye out for.

Everyone,
Made some more slow but steady progress, I could obviously cut things apart faster but I am more concerned about how things are going to go back together and am letting that guide how things come apart. Which just takes longer.

I managed to get the roof split away from the side panels, made the cuts right where the first roof ridges start. Got the inner roof bracing removed, will shorten and reinstall it. I removed the lower quarter panels, I don't need them with my current plans for a custom wraparound bumper. I have a plan now for how to do the remaining cuts.

Once it is cut apart I will be pulling it in at a 1 in 10 slope, which is an additional 5.71 degrees, putting the sides at about 6.15 degrees after the 6 to 8 inch compound curve transition.

Edit: I was actually quite surprised during the disassembly how much adhesive/caulk was used to seal and hold the vehicle together. I plan to use welding on as many of the surfaces as I can on reassembly. I got a tube of some good 3M panel adhesive for the surfaces for which that is impractical.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AB1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	28807   Click image for larger version

Name:	AB2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	28808  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aardvarcus For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-29-2020), California98Civic (07-25-2020), freebeard (07-24-2020)