View Single Post
Old 07-28-2020, 11:11 AM   #113 (permalink)
funkhoss
EcoModding Lurker

The Little Car - '00 Chevrolet Metro
90 day: 91.08 mpg (US)

The Big Car - '94 Chevrolet Caprice Wagon
90 day: 44.9 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTDI View Post
What a great project. I like the fact that this car remains so versatile despite the adjustments, and that's how I want to work too. No compromises on usability. Your consumption figures are very good for such a large engine and heavy vehicle. Your best tank average is 76% from my best. And then my car is twice as light, and the engine fits almost 5 times yours. That's how efficient you made it.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTDI View Post
Instead of a large atmospheric diesel, you should try a three-cylinder turbo. Then you would have something exceptional For example, a VW 1.4 TDI can pull heavy loads after tuning. With your adjustments and driving, it could double your MPG.
I don't know if a 1.4L three-cylinder would be quite enough to tow 10,000 lbs., but a VW 1.9L four-cylinder might be feasible with proper tuning. And, there are kits available that would allow me to bolt one to my current transmission.

I think a 2.8L or 3.0L Duramax could be cool, too, and would certainly have more power than a small VW diesel. It might also be easier/cheaper to adapt, given shared GM engineering.

I doubt I'd double my MPG with such a conversion, though. I might go from low-mid 40's MPG to MPG in the 50's (with perhaps some tanks breaking 60), but I doubt I'd do too much better than that. At the end of the day, this car is still 18 feet long and nearly 7 feet wide, and still weighs over 4500 lbs...

But, at any rate, the ol' Chevy 350 is still going strong, and I don't feel the need to invest the time and money in a diesel swap any time soon.

-Funkhoss