Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2020, 09:07 PM   #111 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles
 
rmay635703's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere in WI
Posts: 3,321

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Thanks: 347
Thanked 660 Times in 493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe_Hybrid View Post
aha i wish
Do more than wish, GM uses common commands on all plug ins and hybrids. (That have been tested)

If you purchase an appropriate High end GM compatible WiFi/Bluetooth obdii to Android dongle you can then download a $0.99 cent obdii app called my Volt hold made by Brian Baptista.

Of interest The app has a “Engine Off” button, this functionality (thus far) seems to work on non-Volts as well as Volts of coarse.
This app allows the vehicle to use its built in abilities but under your control when you want keeping braking, steering, pumps and other goodies running normally


If you aren’t afraid of Potentially having to be clearing a cel give the app a test.

Brian Baptista has a volt repair Facebook page and may be able to provide you insight into GM canbus sniffing, but I bet a battery monitor and engine on/off button would make you happy enough by itself

Good Luck
Ryan

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 07-28-2020, 03:34 AM   #112 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
GreenTDI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Belgium
Posts: 202

GreenTDI - '11 Skoda Fabia Estate R3 1.2 CRTDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 66.24 mpg (US)
Thanks: 49
Thanked 70 Times in 56 Posts
What a great project. I like the fact that this car remains so versatile despite the adjustments, and that's how I want to work too. No compromises on usability. Your consumption figures are very good for such a large engine and heavy vehicle. Your best tank average is 76% from my best. And then my car is twice as light, and the engine fits almost 5 times yours. That's how efficient you made it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkhoss View Post
Planned future mods
-Diesel swap?
Instead of a large atmospheric diesel, you should try a three-cylinder turbo. Then you would have something exceptional For example, a VW 1.4 TDI can pull heavy loads after tuning. With your adjustments and driving, it could double your MPG.
__________________
Skoda Fabia Estate R3 1.2 CRTDI 2011
Fuel log 2011 - 2016 without modifications 54.7 MPG or
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenTDI For This Useful Post:
funkhoss (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 11:11 AM   #113 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Henry, VA
Posts: 67

The Little Car - '00 Chevrolet Metro
90 day: 91.08 mpg (US)

The Big Car - '94 Chevrolet Caprice Wagon
90 day: 44.9 mpg (US)
Thanks: 10
Thanked 122 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTDI View Post
What a great project. I like the fact that this car remains so versatile despite the adjustments, and that's how I want to work too. No compromises on usability. Your consumption figures are very good for such a large engine and heavy vehicle. Your best tank average is 76% from my best. And then my car is twice as light, and the engine fits almost 5 times yours. That's how efficient you made it.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTDI View Post
Instead of a large atmospheric diesel, you should try a three-cylinder turbo. Then you would have something exceptional For example, a VW 1.4 TDI can pull heavy loads after tuning. With your adjustments and driving, it could double your MPG.
I don't know if a 1.4L three-cylinder would be quite enough to tow 10,000 lbs., but a VW 1.9L four-cylinder might be feasible with proper tuning. And, there are kits available that would allow me to bolt one to my current transmission.

I think a 2.8L or 3.0L Duramax could be cool, too, and would certainly have more power than a small VW diesel. It might also be easier/cheaper to adapt, given shared GM engineering.

I doubt I'd double my MPG with such a conversion, though. I might go from low-mid 40's MPG to MPG in the 50's (with perhaps some tanks breaking 60), but I doubt I'd do too much better than that. At the end of the day, this car is still 18 feet long and nearly 7 feet wide, and still weighs over 4500 lbs...

But, at any rate, the ol' Chevy 350 is still going strong, and I don't feel the need to invest the time and money in a diesel swap any time soon.

-Funkhoss
__________________



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 11:39 AM   #114 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
GreenTDI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Belgium
Posts: 202

GreenTDI - '11 Skoda Fabia Estate R3 1.2 CRTDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 66.24 mpg (US)
Thanks: 49
Thanked 70 Times in 56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkhoss View Post

I doubt I'd double my MPG with such a conversion, though. I might go from low-mid 40's MPG to MPG in the 50's (with perhaps some tanks breaking 60), but I doubt I'd do too much better than that. At the end of the day, this car is still 18 feet long and nearly 7 feet wide, and still weighs over 4500 lbs...

-Funkhoss
Someone who achieves 40 - 50 MPG with a 5.7 V8 can go much much further with a small diesel. The gain might be the biggest while towing loads.
But, as you said, it's just an idea.

__________________
Skoda Fabia Estate R3 1.2 CRTDI 2011
Fuel log 2011 - 2016 without modifications 54.7 MPG or
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com