View Single Post
Old 07-28-2020, 11:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Every SUV/pickup I have ever owned had the transmission failing before 200k
Minivans ditto above, got rid of 1 slipping bad with 120k. (Brand doesn’t seem to matter much)

Sedans, I will agree most live longer.

My relatives haven’t had better luck, my niece got an older low mile RAV4 transmission fail at 68k, all these raised height CUVs and crossovers seem to be following the same trend.

I have never had a manual transmission or clutch fail, though I bought a car with bad synchros (though I have never fixed it)

I tend to keep cars until they are 20-30 years old, odd part is I usually have fewer problems in their Twilight years than around year 10.

I guess you never know but the trend of putting a sedan transmission in a CUV doesn’t seem to be working well for longevity
Do you change the transmission fluid on schedule and with the correct factory spec fluid? If so that is some seriously bad luck.

On my Astro Van the normal service interval is every 50K miles but lots of people (including myself) fall into the heavy duty cycle of every 15K miles. I have the trifecta: Drive in heavy city traffic, drive in hilly or mountainous terrain, and tow.

The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (07-29-2020)