View Single Post
Old 07-29-2020, 02:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Yes I do change transmission fluid with OEM by the book.
I even changed the lifetime fluid in the TDI twice and still ended up with the dreaded throttle pulsing failure I was hoping to avoid.

My driving has always been pretty light duty Flat
save the 82 diesel but that truck saw the least maintenance and lasted the longest Despite pulling most of its 438,000 miles.

Based on the folks who live around here your experience is abnormal unless you have only had sedans or 3 speeds. Most of the folks I know that keep their CUV/SUV vehicles over 100,000 end up with major transmission service.
My friends that drive sedans seem to be the exception.

Maybe your climate is more mild? No idea , but the local transmission shop has around 50 cars parked waiting for service week in and week out, must be moderately common.
I grew up in Michigan and my parents and in-laws still live there. They mostly drove E150 conversion vans (3 and 4 speeds) and Ford Explorers (4 and 5 speeds) when I was growing up. The Explorers were used to deliver newspapers so a lot of stop and go.

My brother had a Ford Ranger (4 speed) that got passed on to me. My parents still have his 2000 Silverado (4 speed - that he towed a race trailer with). They also have my aunt's 2004 GMC Envoy (4 speed)

My father-in-law has always driven Ford F250s with a manual until this last one which is an auto. My mother-in-law had a 1996 Thunderbird (4 speed), 2006 Ford Escape (4 speed) and now has a 2016 Ford Escape (6 speed)

My first car was a GMC Jimmy with a 3 speed. Replaced by a Chevy Cavalier wagon with a 3 speed. Then manuals and Prii until I picked up the Astro. It is old (2004) but with only 90K miles on the odometer. The previous owner's flat towed it so the odometer doesn't tell the whole story.

We've always done maintenance by the book. (Well except my dad who still changes oil every 3K miles - every 5K with synthetic)
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-29-2020)