View Single Post
Old 08-08-2020, 03:08 AM   #57 (permalink)
jcp123
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Mountains are where the DT12 and Detroit integrated drivetrain really shine. The truck has extensive maps of not just location but also topography. The truck knows where it is, what grade the road is, and what the road looks like ahead. Using this information it can optimize shift points both uphill and downhill. The front radar also tells it if there is traffic ahead

It is really hard for a human driver to beat a computer in these conditions. They would have to know the road by heart.

EDIT: Max torque is also lower - @ 975 RPM - so that likely explains it shifting at different RPMs than you are used to with a conventional manual.
Yeah we had training and literature which said as much. The mountains make that combo a real rock star, although nothing was said about peak torque coming at 975. I thought it was still at 1100, and shift logic reflects that; climbing seems to be a HP game, not a torque game. That aside, it works wonders, generally, in providing good glides. I do often take it out of cruise and force performance if I know I have a big downslope coming. It’s not perfect but boy is it overall a good hypermiler with a lot going for it in the mountains. The majority of driving leaves me with a rather eh opinion, but talking to other truck drivers, I do tell them I’d be lying if I thought it sucked completely.

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17