Thread: Door Damage
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 08:44 AM   #23 (permalink)
ptsmith24
EcoModding Apprentice

El Camrino - '90 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Charlie View Post
If it was my car...

I would take off the inner door panel and try to bump that crease out. Then I would try to straighten the aft lip of the fender in front of the door, enough so it wouldn't catch on the front edge of the door when it's opened. Then I would use a ball pein hammer and massage the front lip of the door so it tucks in behind the fender. It wouldn't look any better, but I can't stand wind noise/squeeks/rattles in my cars.

Doesn't it leak when it rains?
Believe it or not, it doesn't leak when it rains. The only potential leaking problem I have is where the window meets the top of the door. That's only when washing the car in that direct spot or during extremely heavy rain. The window used to go up and down fairly easily, but it worked its way off and now it'll come down (sometimes) and is a pain to get to roll back up. You have to push the window against the car while rolling it up to get it to match up with the top of the door correctly.

That being said, first I think I'll try the plastic idea from the post just ahead of yours. Then, if I get tired of that or I don't notice gains or what have you, I'll probably try your idea. I hate to bang at it too much for two reasons: 1) It's rusted and I'm not sure how brittle those creases are now; and 2) I hate to bend it to where I change the way the door closes too far away from what I'm used to.

Man, getting a junk yard door is sounding more and more tempting. That doesn't solve the front quarter panel damage, but that could be fixed using part of your idea.

Thank you.