View Single Post
Old 09-12-2020, 07:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
JulianEdgar
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
I would imagine they used those very expensive wind tunnels on the insight. Good for them, we don't have one.
do A,B, or C above represent anything any of us will drive? Give that up, you have an axe to grind.
Does some form of wake reduction? Yes, it does. In that vein, fineness and attached flow, and curves that behave well in the yawed environment do. We don't drive in wind tunnels.
Take a look at the airstream trailer shape. Those huge radii work well from any angle. If you've towed many travel trailers, large box trailers, it's things like that you begin to appreciate.
Sorry, you've lost me.

You don't need an expensive wind tunnel to see that the template is baloney - just do some tuft testing. Zero cost, easy. I don't have a monopoly on testing - do some for yourself.

Furthermore, if the real world, low-drag car shapes developed in a wind tunnel differ substantially from the template, isn't that even more evidence that the template is wrong?

No, A, B and C don't represent what we will drive, just as the template doesn't either. (If it were to meet frontal crash requirements and have minimum head room, I'd suggest a car based on the template would be about 7.4m long. That's about 24 feet.) I ran the solar car pics because you appeared to believe that the template was the lowest drag shape for a road vehicle, and it isn't.

My only axe to grind is against incorrect information being uncritically disseminated.
The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-16-2020)