View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 10:42 AM   #3564 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
mirror-image ground simulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I suspect the mirroring is a simplification to remove the underbody as a consideration.

There's a lot going on in the center of that full body.

Agreed the spats and breakover angles are in order. I'm still a fan of the Magic B*tt Trumpet.
I reread every word in Hucho's book after I got home Friday. I flagged every citation involving the 'mirror-image' ground simulation technique. As well as dozens of other streamlining criteria which failed to make it into Hucho's 'Subject index.'
I packed Julian's book plus Hucho's into my backpack, and managed to get to town this morning without it. I'll try for Friday.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The earliest I can find a source for the mirror-image technique is pre-1922, from Paul Jaray, of the Zeppelin Werke. Paul was an airship designer for them and is responsible for introducing the longitudinally-asymmetrical, 'teardrop, body of revolution,' airship hull, originally invented by Frenchman, Pierre Julienne, in the 18th-Century.
Jaray's work is presented in 'AERODYNAMIK DES KRAFTFAHRZEUG', self-published by Baron Reinhard von Koenig-Fachsenfeld, 1951, who is actually 'Kamm'.