View Single Post
Old 10-05-2020, 04:48 PM   #64 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD

Van - '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Thanked 4,458 Times in 3,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
The #1 cost in owning a Tesla at least will be the insurance.
Not even close. Open my spreadsheet and plug some numbers in there. The #1 cost of owning any vehicle by far is depreciation. The only people with higher expenses than depreciation are purchasing 10+ year old vehicles.

Besides all that, I've gotten quotes for Tesla vehicles before and found them to be less than other lower cost vehicles such as the Chevy Bolt. It all depends on what kind of insurance you're shopping for and other demographic information.

Of course your underlining point that you don't purchase a Tesla for financial reasons is absolutely right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I buy 3 year old vehicles with cash. Actual cash not a check. It isn’t illegal to pay for a vehicle with cash and it happens more often then you think.
I bought my truck from an Ebay auction and paid ODOT in person with $6,300 in cash. I bought my 2 year old (at the time) motorcycle for $5,000 in cash from an Ebay auction. I bought my reconstructed title Prius plug-in from an ad in Craigslist with $13k in cash. I bought a 2014 top trim Ford C-max (OfferUp) for a friend with $7k cash. Cash is a bargaining strategy because it shows the person you're serious about purchasing, and they won't have to visit a bank with you, and they don't have to worry about any fraudulent checks or anything.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 10-05-2020 at 04:53 PM..