View Single Post
Old 10-09-2020, 11:11 PM   #302 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I often forget where I wrote out the instructions for electrifying the shed. I just bookmarked it, but I have been using many different computers lately!

Quote:
A licensed electrician would charge at least several hundred dollars plus materials to run lines from your house to a shed 50 ft. away (not including any work inside your house). You can do the job yourself for a materials cost of about $140.
How to Bury Underground Cable

We blew a circuit in the kitchen and then two more. The circuit breaker itself went out and everything that I read said to call a professional. He came out, reset the GFCI in Mom's bathroom (which reset the outlet in our bathroom), replaced the outlet in our bathroom, and replaced the circuit breaker.

Mom recently said that she needed to replace her range hood just because it is ugly. There must be some way of degreasing and repainting it and the stove while I am at it. I said "The next time the microwave dies maybe we can install a microwave range vent!"

The microwave died a few days ago, right before the electrician came out. Mom mentioned the microwave range vent to my sister, who talked about having a professional install it. I looked up how to do it myself and almost couldn't find instructions anywhere.

I found something saying those are out-of-date. I had already learned that people currently prefer range hoods without cabinets [as well as ripping out upper cabinets over a bar].

Why don't people like storage anymore?!

Something said that microwave range hoods were lame, put one in a lower cabinet instead!

Wait, you are talking about wasting cabinet space with a microwave instead of filling in unused space?

How does that make sense?!

Then again, how do vents without cabinets make sense?!

I found many people replacing microwave range hoods to plain vents [probably without storage!] The one thing that I found said that the microwave range hood needed its own circuit and outlet, while standard hoods were invariably wired into the house, so someone would need to run a new circuit and install that outlet.

Yeah, that sounds expensive.

My brother asked us to buy his pizza [and a newspaper] way early today and if I had not been trying to do things like schedule my latest client I would have taken him early. When I was ready to go he wandered off and then someone parked in front of my car.

When the electrician came I reminded Mom about the microwave range hood and my sister had suggested having a professional run electricity. Somewhere I got the idea that it would cost $1,000.

Another electrician showed up when I was trying to leave to get an estimate.
My Land Navigation instructors should have been proud, he just paced off the distance!

He talked about running conduit diagonally from the circuit breaker to the other gate post, running conduit along the fence, and then wiring up my shed. He didn't break down his estimate, but he said $1,200 - $1,500 for the microwave range hood and the shed.

I hadn't wanted to dig a trench in Arizona, but now that he gave me that estimate I keep thinking:

Run the power line with the cable lines, down the back corner, and then into a conduit as Oil Pan and I discussed. That sounds vastly better than running a conduit straight into the ground and then trenching 50' along the side of the house and then across the hard to the shed.

However, does that work?