View Single Post
Old 10-22-2020, 12:56 AM   #17 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkauneJohan View Post
Yes in the rest of the world it is, here they have the same "diesel" year round, only difference is the nowadays 7% added biodiesel for lubricity, before there were many blown injector pumps on diesel engines due to lack of lubricity, especially lucas and the ones on gm v8 diesels
The old 6.2L and 6.5L Detroit Diesel V8 having been fitted to military vehicles such as the Hummvee and the CUCV, it required some changes to the pump in order to enable a safe operation with kerosene, which is quite usual due to the cost rendering regular Diesel fuel not so much more affordable at a war-torn zone than aviation fuel.

Quote:
If you have turbine powered model airplane you dont need to find jet fuel just go to the local gas station and get "diesel" the small amount of biodiesel added usually doesnt even gum up the turbine
IIRC Pratt & Whitney Canada has certified some versions of the PT6A to run on regular Diesel up to a 500ppm sulphur content, even though cropdusters have been operated on Diesel steadily before such certification.

Quote:
This also makes the fuel good for blending with vegetable oil if you have an old diesel like me, but when running only ultralowsulfurdiesel, you get higher fuel consumtion and less power than on real diesel
I remember when 50ppm and subsequently 10ppm sulphur Diesel fuel became available in Brazil, an uncle of mine who used to own a Chevrolet Blazer with the Maxion HS engine reported its fuel consumption with low sulphur Diesel to be worse than with the 500ppm one.