Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Should I do one last engine flush?
Yes, do that before oil addative, cleaning out more crud from previous neglect is only good 2 66.67%
No, you already did two flushes, no need to do more, engine is the cleanest it can be by now 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2020, 07:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I don't have any experience to draw on, but I would want a bit more information.

When you drained the engine after the previous flushes, how did the fluid look?
Did the fluid drained out after the second flush look very dirty?
Did it look similar to the fluid drained out after the first flush?

If the flush pulls out a lot of crud in the fluid each time I would continue flushing.
If the flushing fluid coming out looks the same as when it went in I would stop flushing.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-14-2020, 09:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teoman View Post
I had read an old scientific paper stating that acetone improved mpg by evaporating faster and making smaller droplets of fuel.

Tried it in as 1 small syringe in to 20l gas tank a few times but did not notice a difference. Stopped with fear of melting plastics. The vehicle (2005 bmw r1200gs motorbike, sold to my cousin) still runs great.
It does take a lot of direct contact though. Apart from that I think the only way it should be used is to just directly dump it in the spark plug hole. I've been chatting back and forth with the Prius guys and they believe it helps loosen up the carbon on the rings to reduce oil cons.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
Dump it and crank with spark plugs off?
Old 10-19-2020, 01:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The cruiser - '93 Mercedes 200D
90 day: 38.11 mpg (US)

The rocket - '94 Mercedes E220
90 day: 32.29 mpg (US)

miss Habanero - '95 Audi A6 2.5 TDi Avant
90 day: 43.52 mpg (US)

Annie - '89 mazda 626
90 day: 29.51 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Are you sure people were using Diesel fuel added to the oil? IIRC it's kerosene that's often used for that.

Coca-Cola or anything containing sugar may not be poured into an engine. Some years ago, someone poured sugar in the oil of the engines of trucks and heavy machinery belonging to the local administration of some city in Paraná, as a deliberate act of sabotage.
Diesel and kerosene is the same here since the 80s I believe

Always heard sugar in the tank would make an engine seize up, Reminds me of this dude https://youtu.be/r-uzBxCriQw he put this to the test and force feeds 1/2 KG (slightly above 1 pound) sugar right into thd engine, test drives and take off cylinder head no ill effect

into engine oil is of course different

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMCF View Post
I don't have any experience to draw on, but I would want a bit more information.

When you drained the engine after the previous flushes, how did the fluid look?
Did the fluid drained out after the second flush look very dirty?
Did it look similar to the fluid drained out after the first flush?

If the flush pulls out a lot of crud in the fluid each time I would continue flushing.
If the flushing fluid coming out looks the same as when it went in I would stop flushing.
Since you add the flush into the oil and run it on idle for 10min before the oil change, the flush looks like used oil

After doing a flush the oil looks brand new and clear in the engine for about 3000km (1800miles) in a diesel that is remarkable, oil gets dark really fast on old diesels

1989 mazda 626 2.2 automatic 116hp

Last edited by SkauneJohan; 10-19-2020 at 01:44 PM..
Old 10-19-2020, 04:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkauneJohan View Post
Diesel and kerosene is the same here since the 80s I believe
Diesel is still usually heavier than kerosene, harder to ignite with a cigarette lighter for example, yet some winterized Diesel fuel has kerosene added to prevent it from gelling on extremely cold weather.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:06 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Annie - '89 mazda 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Diesel is still usually heavier than kerosene, harder to ignite with a cigarette lighter for example, yet some winterized Diesel fuel has kerosene added to prevent it from gelling on extremely cold weather.
Yes in the rest of the world it is, here they have the same "diesel" year round, only difference is the nowadays 7% added biodiesel for lubricity, before there were many blown injector pumps on diesel engines due to lack of lubricity, especially lucas and the ones on gm v8 diesels

Density of real diesel is around .820-.845g/cm3

Ultralowsulfurcrap here has density of .780-.800g/cm3

Kerosene has density of .780-.810g/cm3

Viscosity [mm²/s] of real diesel is 2.0-4.5

Viscosity [mm²/s] Ultralowsulfur "diesel" here 1.4-2.0

Viscosity [mm²/s] kerosene 1.3-2.5

Boiling point etc is also same as kerosene

If you have turbine powered model airplane you dont need to find jet fuel just go to the local gas station and get "diesel" the small amount of biodiesel added usually doesnt even gum up the turbine

This also makes the fuel good for blending with vegetable oil if you have an old diesel like me, but when running only ultralowsulfurdiesel, you get higher fuel consumtion and less power than on real diesel

Old 10-22-2020, 12:56 AM   #17 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Yes in the rest of the world it is, here they have the same "diesel" year round, only difference is the nowadays 7% added biodiesel for lubricity, before there were many blown injector pumps on diesel engines due to lack of lubricity, especially lucas and the ones on gm v8 diesels
The old 6.2L and 6.5L Detroit Diesel V8 having been fitted to military vehicles such as the Hummvee and the CUCV, it required some changes to the pump in order to enable a safe operation with kerosene, which is quite usual due to the cost rendering regular Diesel fuel not so much more affordable at a war-torn zone than aviation fuel.

Quote:
If you have turbine powered model airplane you dont need to find jet fuel just go to the local gas station and get "diesel" the small amount of biodiesel added usually doesnt even gum up the turbine
IIRC Pratt & Whitney Canada has certified some versions of the PT6A to run on regular Diesel up to a 500ppm sulphur content, even though cropdusters have been operated on Diesel steadily before such certification.

Quote:
This also makes the fuel good for blending with vegetable oil if you have an old diesel like me, but when running only ultralowsulfurdiesel, you get higher fuel consumtion and less power than on real diesel
I remember when 50ppm and subsequently 10ppm sulphur Diesel fuel became available in Brazil, an uncle of mine who used to own a Chevrolet Blazer with the Maxion HS engine reported its fuel consumption with low sulphur Diesel to be worse than with the 500ppm one.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:43 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Annie - '89 mazda 626
jay leno has a turbine car wich he runs on biodiesel but he needs to start and stop on kerosene

turbines are cool

it is interesting to read about the chrysler turbine, running on chane no5l perfume and tequila

Old 10-23-2020, 12:25 AM   #19 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
turbines are cool
Even though one of my former teachers had worked at Varig once the Lockheed Electra started to replace the piston-powered aircraft on main routes, and that old man praised turbines. For smaller aircraft I still prefer a conventional engine unless it has a pressurized cabin.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teoman View Post
Dump it and crank with spark plugs off?
Dump and soak overnight then throw some rags over the spark plug holes and crank a couple times then throw it back together and go drive around to get to operating temp to burn the loosened carbon off.