View Single Post
Old 11-20-2020, 05:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
racprops
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
Question...where does this device install? On the pressurized fuel line?

If so...what about the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel return line? Won't it be measuring all the fuel passing through, including that which gets returned to the tank?
There are two answers to your question:

First, with system with return lines you can add an aftermarket fuel regulator at the point of the TBI or Fuel Rails, connecting the return line there and leaving a single fuel line to supply the TBI (in my case on my Van’s engine) or at the fuel rail on say a pre 03 Crown Vic. I did this set up with my 93 Chevy van.

Second with many post 02 cars the fuel systems have switched to single fuel lines placing the fuel return lines at the fuel pump within the fuel tank, so there is no return lies at the engine.

So in both cases we now can have a single final fuel line at the final fuel delivery system where we can place the flow sensor with the added bonus of now having an adjustable fuel regulator.

The main reason for the fuel return line was to allow the fuel pump to run 100% of the time to insure gap-less fuel delivery and to cool the pump. This also help prevent a old problem of vapor locking common to the old fuel system.

But the EPA found this set up was warming up the fuel as it was recycled from the hot engine back to the fuel tank, this warming cause more vapor which cause more vapor leakage and more pollution, so it was demanded this was to be stopped, so dropping the fuel with in the gas tank allowed the fuel pump 100% duty cycles and kept the fuel with in the tank so it is not warmed up by being run past the hot engine.

Rich