Thread: fuel question
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 04:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
1.5Ldave
econ00b

green car - '91 honda civic hb dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99metro View Post
I live in Northern Colorado, and I always get my fuel at stations that sell real gas, or unblended gas. In the cities, the gas "blends" change with the seasons - that is why you hear about "winter" blend and "summer" blend. You get worse FE using these blends, and it varies with the winter/summer blends on how bad it gets. They have these blends to reduce emissions in their areas. You will gain FE if you can find and use unblended gas. I was able to break through 60 mpg by using unblended gas. Good luck figuring out what stations sell "real" gas. The octane ratings remain the same whether you use winter, summer, or unblended gas, BUT your mileage will vary with each.

9NEWS.com | Colorado's Online News Leader | 'Clear gas' hard to find

Lots of articles if you google it.
I fully agree that unblended gas will yield better mileage every time. I dont know about elsewhere, but here in Phoenix all the pumps are required to have a sticker stating what blends are used during what parts of the year, and its always 10% or more ethanol. Before the gubment stopped us, lots of people down here were driving to mexico to get unblended gas and fill up some drums to bring home. Better mileage at 1/2 the cost of gas here.

Corn is for eating, not driving