Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wildfire - '96 Ford Bronco XL
90 day: 14.88 mpg (US)

Blackford - '96 Ford Bronco XLT
90 day: 20.26 mpg (US)

Y2k - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
90 day: 73.98 mpg (US)

Redford V10 - '01 Ford F250 Lariat
90 day: 15.64 mpg (US)

FireFly - '00 Honda Insight DX
90 day: 69.43 mpg (US)

LittleRed - '00 Honda Insight
I live in Northern Colorado, and I always get my fuel at stations that sell real gas, or unblended gas. In the cities, the gas "blends" change with the seasons - that is why you hear about "winter" blend and "summer" blend. You get worse FE using these blends, and it varies with the winter/summer blends on how bad it gets. They have these blends to reduce emissions in their areas. You will gain FE if you can find and use unblended gas. I was able to break through 60 mpg by using unblended gas. Good luck figuring out what stations sell "real" gas. The octane ratings remain the same whether you use winter, summer, or unblended gas, BUT your mileage will vary with each.

9NEWS.com | Colorado's Online News Leader | 'Clear gas' hard to find

Lots of articles if you google it.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-26-2008, 04:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
econ00b

green car - '91 honda civic hb dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsmith24 View Post
Do you have any actual proof of this (besides commercials) somewhere or what? I really am curious...
Before I thought there was no difference as well. However, when I first tore down my tacoma due to bad mileage after I bought it, it was all gunked up. The guy I bought it from freely admitted he bought the cheapest gas he could find. Since cleaning it up (and tearing it down again to check it out ~30k miles later) I found virtually no build up anywhere, and I have only used the brands mentioned above. So at least in my experience, the 50 cents or less extra per fill up is worth it.

This is a good read with far more technical information than I am qualified to provide.

http://vettenet.org/octane.html
Old 09-26-2008, 04:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
econ00b

green car - '91 honda civic hb dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99metro View Post
I live in Northern Colorado, and I always get my fuel at stations that sell real gas, or unblended gas. In the cities, the gas "blends" change with the seasons - that is why you hear about "winter" blend and "summer" blend. You get worse FE using these blends, and it varies with the winter/summer blends on how bad it gets. They have these blends to reduce emissions in their areas. You will gain FE if you can find and use unblended gas. I was able to break through 60 mpg by using unblended gas. Good luck figuring out what stations sell "real" gas. The octane ratings remain the same whether you use winter, summer, or unblended gas, BUT your mileage will vary with each.

9NEWS.com | Colorado's Online News Leader | 'Clear gas' hard to find

Lots of articles if you google it.
I fully agree that unblended gas will yield better mileage every time. I dont know about elsewhere, but here in Phoenix all the pumps are required to have a sticker stating what blends are used during what parts of the year, and its always 10% or more ethanol. Before the gubment stopped us, lots of people down here were driving to mexico to get unblended gas and fill up some drums to bring home. Better mileage at 1/2 the cost of gas here.

Corn is for eating, not driving
Old 09-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

El Camrino - '90 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.5Ldave View Post
Before I thought there was no difference as well. However, when I first tore down my tacoma due to bad mileage after I bought it, it was all gunked up. The guy I bought it from freely admitted he bought the cheapest gas he could find. Since cleaning it up (and tearing it down again to check it out ~30k miles later) I found virtually no build up anywhere, and I have only used the brands mentioned above. So at least in my experience, the 50 cents or less extra per fill up is worth it.

This is a good read with far more technical information than I am qualified to provide.

http://vettenet.org/octane.html
Thanks

Old 09-27-2008, 01:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
1/2 the cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.5Ldave View Post
I fully agree that unblended gas will yield better mileage every time. I dont know about elsewhere, but here in Phoenix all the pumps are required to have a sticker stating what blends are used during what parts of the year, and its always 10% or more ethanol. Before the gubment stopped us, lots of people down here were driving to mexico to get unblended gas and fill up some drums to bring home. Better mileage at 1/2 the cost of gas here.

Corn is for eating, not driving
It's funny about the cost of fuel in Mexico.All PEMEX fuel is refined from Mexican crude in Houston,TX,then "exported" to Mexico for sale at the national stations.Texas truckers are driving across the border into Mexico to buy diesel manufactured in the U.S.,at less than half the price! It's less than 1/10th the cost in Venezuela.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It's funny about the cost of fuel in Mexico.All PEMEX fuel is refined from Mexican crude in Houston,TX,then "exported" to Mexico for sale at the national stations.Texas truckers are driving across the border into Mexico to buy diesel manufactured in the U.S.,at less than half the price! It's less than 1/10th the cost in Venezuela.
*shakes head*

PEMEX has 6 refineries in Mexico with a combined refining capacity of 1,528,000 barrels per day. PEMEX subcontracts about 600,000 bpd to US refineries, almost all of which is refined to diesel with the remainder jet fuel. Let's not forget PEMEX is owned by the Mexican gov't, which derives 1/3 of it's revenues from profits and taxes. They are in the process of building 2 new refineries because refining costs in the US are almost triple that of PEMEX owned facilities. So yes, truckers load up in Mexico on diesel made here, but PEMEX has no competition and is as corrupt as any Mexican institution.

Don't talk to me about Venezuela. Cheap fuel is the only benefit those people see from the billions pulled in by Chavez and his cronies from fuel and oil sales. I wouldn't give up my rights as a human being for cheap fuel.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Truck - '97 Ford Ranger
90 day: 30.32 mpg (US)
they all should be relatively the same, oil from each area is slightly different, Texas oil is one of the better ones for oil companies, because more gasoline comes from it and less sulfur so less refining to sell it. There are standards and if you think it the companies are going to sell the minimum quality to have it sold.