View Single Post
Old 11-28-2020, 05:46 PM   #36 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Cooking outside is the ticket actually. Even in out big travel trailer I prefer to cook outside. If the kitchen as completely outside built into a wall, it would be preferable to me. An awning is also necessary then. Basically with something as small as a van, i only want to be in there while driving or while sleeping. The high roof would be nice because changing your clothes is a pain all bent over. Again the solution might be just to go outside with a drop down privacy curtain from the awning. You could also add an outdoor shower that way too. Those tankless propane instant water heaters would be part of any build I did.

Actually my plan is to build all of that kitchen, fridge, toilet, hot water, and a bunch of storage into a trailer. Then the van, SUV, pickup, whatever towing it can just be a bed enclosure, or have a roof top tent, or in my case the tent is a 12x15 spike wall tent with a woodstove and nice cots. In my case I will make the trailer off road worthy, although not crazy rockcrawling off road, just good enough to get up the average forest service road around here.

The tent sets up pretty fast, its just would be nice for all the other gear to have a place that doesn't require spreading out and hooking up. Plus it all doesn't fit in the Touareg with the ability to also carry 4 people.

Last edited by Hersbird; 11-28-2020 at 06:02 PM..