Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2020, 08:35 PM   #31 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
I'd get more value from a 2nd burner. I like one of those white plastic folding tables for the kitchen. In a minivan with the bed permanently mounted, I think a surface to make that end of the bed into a counter would do well. Hard to figure out a way to store the table without going to the roof, and hard to figure out how to break down the counter so that it can be stowed elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-25-2020, 08:44 PM   #32 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
I'd get more value from a 2nd burner. I like one of those white plastic folding tables for the kitchen. In a minivan with the bed permanently mounted, I think a surface to make that end of the bed into a counter would do well. Hard to figure out a way to store the table without going to the roof, and hard to figure out how to break down the counter so that it can be stowed elsewhere.
My double burner propane stove would easily fit where that single burner sitting. I'm curious what is under it but my guess is a water tank and grey water tank.

My next campervan will have an electric induction cook top.

I think the fixed bed is a mistake. Even my Astro is a crowded for two during an extended rainy period. You need a place to sit upright. Swivel captains chairs would help.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:35 AM   #33 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Murphy bed.

Pull the drawers out, put them on top of the bed at the rear. The bed base is hinged panels like a folding tonneau cover, folding into a 2nd row bench seat. Hardly ideal, but you could even accomplish some table space that way. It could be considered similar to the RT body camper in post #28, but with the seats made out of the bed instead of the bulky stow & go seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
JSH (11-26-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 12:32 PM   #34 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Murphy bed.

Pull the drawers out, put them on top of the bed at the rear. The bed base is hinged panels like a folding tonneau cover, folding into a 2nd row bench seat. Hardly ideal, but you could even accomplish some table space that way. It could be considered similar to the RT body camper in post #28, but with the seats made out of the bed instead of the bulky stow & go seats.
That is basically what the Escape and Juicy version do. They keep the rear stock seat to maintain the ability to legally carry 5 passengers. No rental company would want to take on the legal liability of making their own seats. However, for only two people pulling the rear seat is a given and the pull out drawers could be combined with the folding bed / benches for the best of both worlds.
Old 11-26-2020, 04:54 PM   #35 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
It's nice, but if I were looking to build a campervan I'd still rather make something that wouldn't require me to go outside to use the kitchen, even though having the ability to cook outside in situations such as frying fish is good to prevent the smells from fish and cooking grease to stick inside.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:46 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Cooking outside is the ticket actually. Even in out big travel trailer I prefer to cook outside. If the kitchen as completely outside built into a wall, it would be preferable to me. An awning is also necessary then. Basically with something as small as a van, i only want to be in there while driving or while sleeping. The high roof would be nice because changing your clothes is a pain all bent over. Again the solution might be just to go outside with a drop down privacy curtain from the awning. You could also add an outdoor shower that way too. Those tankless propane instant water heaters would be part of any build I did.

Actually my plan is to build all of that kitchen, fridge, toilet, hot water, and a bunch of storage into a trailer. Then the van, SUV, pickup, whatever towing it can just be a bed enclosure, or have a roof top tent, or in my case the tent is a 12x15 spike wall tent with a woodstove and nice cots. In my case I will make the trailer off road worthy, although not crazy rockcrawling off road, just good enough to get up the average forest service road around here.

The tent sets up pretty fast, its just would be nice for all the other gear to have a place that doesn't require spreading out and hooking up. Plus it all doesn't fit in the Touareg with the ability to also carry 4 people.

Last edited by Hersbird; 11-28-2020 at 06:02 PM..
Old 11-28-2020, 07:06 PM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Through the miracle of the hinge, you can have it both ways. Pleez excuse the dated body style*.

www.goodshomedesign.com/1967-volkswagen-camper/

The folding table on the door or sink cabinet is where you put the gas stove. You can still get there with a sliding door.

car-from-uk.com/ebay/carphotos/full/ebay167479.jpg

The slickest, most modern camper I find is the [URL="https://mensgear.net/2017/08/volkswagen-california-xxl-camper-van-concept.html"]VOLKSWAGEN CALIFORNIA XXL CAMPER VAN CONCEPT
[/URL.] I was lured there by this:

But it's pretty nice overall:

* I also found this, rack and pinion steering for the Type II. It will be a welcome addition of the new-metal electric autonomous camper/buses of the future.

creative-engineering.com/

Old 12-01-2020, 12:42 AM   #38 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Pleez excuse the dated body style
It may seem dated at first, but the bodystyle of a split-window Kombi still looks great for leisure travelling while keeping a reasonable amount of amenities. There are even some folks who managed to get some sort of mini bath tub aboard.

Quote:
I also found this, rack and pinion steering for the Type II.
I remember some sources claiming the last Brazilian Kombi had rack and pinion steering.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:34 AM   #39 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Are waterboxers still ty2? Have a couple of 4wd westies in my neighborhood that have what looks like a pinto rack installed. Iirc the early pinto had European stuff installed.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:53 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
There are two nomenclatures that apply, Types I, II and II vs T1, T2, T3, etcetera.

Reply  Post New Thread