View Single Post
Old 11-30-2020, 03:03 AM   #214 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
It sounds like the deal of the year was an HP Ryzen 7 with everything that I wanted except a FHD screen for $350: https://slickdeals.net/f/14625169-15...ptional-349-99

This morning someone posted this one with everything but the screen and the 256 GB SSD for $400: https://slickdeals.net/f/14642213-it...-free-shipping

I hope that nobody here actually wanted that, it already expired!

It came out to $440 with the 1,920x1,080 display, but since I previously bought an HP they gave me a $3 credit.

Yay!

Allegedly I get 12% back through TopCashback.com, which is like Rakuten, although the latter only offered a 1% rebate. TCB said that I should receive my money within an hour, but it has been over 6, and nothing.

Maybe it needs to clear first.

If I get the rebate then I will get this laptop for $387.20, 10% more than the absolute best price, and 56% of the regular price.

People posted this sale 5 times in 6 hours.

The first one has 18 responses and -23 points.

It seems like half of the replies were saying "This sucks! The expired one was way cheaper!"

If they missed the cheaper one, do they suck?

Many people ask questions they could easily answer for themselves, often by reading all of the posts.

The second post has 9 comments and -10 points. The second reply was by someone called Repost with the tagline "Search first," and this lovely avatar:

The third has 41 responses and 19 points for some reason.

Things seemed to go well enough until someone claimed that the RAM was soldered.

No it isn't.

Of course, this individual didn't provide a source, and nobody really asked for one.

"no upgrade equal garbage"

I provided four sources
BuyMoreChuck:
Quote:
Based on what I read on the Costco site, it looks like people were having Zoom issues. That was mentioned in the Black Friday deal.
The Black Friday post had around 1,750 responses.

Someone complained that the price had gone up and said "if tis going back down around 300 , will pick up !"

Why are five year-olds buying computers?

"I suppose it all comes down to whether the ram is risen upgradeable."
"are you sure about that?"
"Not absolutely sure, I saw it somewhere in the forums."
"i saw the exact opposite from the BF thread on this PC"
"not true ifixit did the tear down, 2 ram slots [...] can be replaced"

I cannot find an iFixIt video, but iFixIt linked a video that I shared by IT FIX.

All of those comments discussing whether or not you can use this heavily and nobody commented on whether or not you can use the microphone without it crashing annoyingly.

It sounds like this is some problem with HPs, tech support has you do all of the normal things that just waste your time, including reinstalling Windows, and then they blame all of those third-party programs that you are using.

Which seems more likely, several popular programs having the same issue rendering them unusable or laptops made by one manufacturer?

One HP employee tried to follow up and two different users presented solutions that worked for them, but hardly anyone responded to any of those three problem-solvers.

First of all, the problem is with the system microphone.

Can you use a headset safely?

Second, if the problem is with the build-in mic, is this just feedback?

Can feedback cause the computer to crash?

500 GB WD SSD for $50.
8 GB Samsung RAM module for $29.

Two of those should be adequate.

HP wants $200 for upgrades that I can buy for $108 and then I can sell the ones that I pulled.

Two possible problems with TCB: I turned off ad-blocking on their site, but one of the many times that I checked for my rebate it said that my ad-blocking [of HP.com?] could prevent me from receiving a rebate.

The other is that I bought the laptop and then saw the verification e-mail, so I recommend verifying and completely turning off ad-blocking.

In this case it was worth over $60.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thumbs-Down.png
Views:	97
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	29653