Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2020, 10:49 PM   #211 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
According to this www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=raspberry+pi+400
2 available in my local store for $99.95. I think I'll try to get one tomorrow.

To run Qubes, the OS that Snowden recommends. Apparently it runs Windows™ applications.

It's no Apple M1, but it's not hobbled with an Intel chip. Why Apple's M1 Chip Is So Important

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-29-2020, 04:06 AM   #212 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Mom bought me a Salonpas pain-relieving patch. Now I am in pain, but smell minty fresh!

Someone gave some laptop a one-star review because it had an optical drive. Somebody else gave a laptop a one-star review because it didn't have an optical drive.

I really don't use CDs, etc. often.

I believe that I am at the point of diminishing returns for finding deals, plus a number have already sold out, expired, or been abducted by aliens.

441 Dell 15.6" R5 4500u 8 256 Vega 8
450 HP 15.6" R5 4600h 8 256 GeForce GTX 1650 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pavi...088198&subId1=
490 HP 15.6" r7 4700u 8 256 Radeon https://store.hp.com/us/en/Configure...=ceramic+white
500 Lenovo 15.6" i7 1065G7 8 256 Onboard https://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...top-156-Screen
520 Asus 15.6" i7 1065G7 8 256 Iris+ https://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...top-156-Screen
530 HP 15.6" i7 1065g7 12 256 Iris+ https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-laptop-15t-8qq67av-1
594 HP 15.6" i7 1165g7 8 256 Iris Xe https://store.hp.com/us/en/AjaxOrder...OrderCalculate

Bizarre. The forums kept signing me out, so I made that list in Excel, copied it back, formatted each link like for the first one, and then compared each processor with my i3.

As I recall, the sold-out 4,600h is as fast as the 1,165G7.

Both came out the second quarter of this year, but the Ryzen 5 is supposed to compete with the i5!

Then the Internet went out and some of these expire soon!

I copied my message to Word, reset the router, and when I returned my laptop had rebooted!

Word didn’t autosave!

Curiously, I eventually got an early version of my message back from my browser.

Allegedly the $490 HP Ryzen 7 is the fastest, although the $450 sold-out Ryzen 7 had a much better video card than the rest, although that isn’t as important to me as saving $40.

I checked all of these links when I copied them to Excel, but does anyone really understand computers?

I started trying to compare the best couple laptops when my browser froze. I used another, but I couldn’t find the one that looked the best.

It appeared that HP raised their price before the sale ended.

I cannot find anything else that I like.

It sounds like I need to check SlickDeals throughout the day. There was a post about a guy who got a 17.3” HP i7 for $250, but HP fixed it within an hour.
Old 11-29-2020, 04:45 AM   #213 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I checked all of these links when I copied them to Excel, but does anyone really understand computers?
I used to, I watched as the personal computer was invented. ...and then corrupted by Microsoft. But, use it or lose it — nowadays it's all System On Chip AMD processors. I used to tell people in the Apple ][ days that computer chips operate so close to the quantum level that the mindset of the operator can change things so it's important to be calm and centered when you sit down.

It looks like the Ryzen 7 is AMD. Here's a comparison between Ryzen 5, 7 and 9 and Intel i7 and i9: benchmarks.ul.com/hardware/cpu/AMD+Ryzen+7+3700U/review

These are 4-core CPUs running at 2.3Ghz, The Raspberry Pi has four cores, runs at 1.5Ghz and supports two 4K monitors. I want the 400 all-in-one for the superior heat sink (no fan required) but it turns out Best Buy only has the Pi 4.

Old 11-30-2020, 03:03 AM   #214 (permalink)
Not Doug

It sounds like the deal of the year was an HP Ryzen 7 with everything that I wanted except a FHD screen for $350: https://slickdeals.net/f/14625169-15...ptional-349-99

This morning someone posted this one with everything but the screen and the 256 GB SSD for $400: https://slickdeals.net/f/14642213-it...-free-shipping

I hope that nobody here actually wanted that, it already expired!

It came out to $440 with the 1,920x1,080 display, but since I previously bought an HP they gave me a $3 credit.

Yay!

Allegedly I get 12% back through TopCashback.com, which is like Rakuten, although the latter only offered a 1% rebate. TCB said that I should receive my money within an hour, but it has been over 6, and nothing.

Maybe it needs to clear first.

If I get the rebate then I will get this laptop for $387.20, 10% more than the absolute best price, and 56% of the regular price.

People posted this sale 5 times in 6 hours.

The first one has 18 responses and -23 points.

It seems like half of the replies were saying "This sucks! The expired one was way cheaper!"

If they missed the cheaper one, do they suck?

Many people ask questions they could easily answer for themselves, often by reading all of the posts.

The second post has 9 comments and -10 points. The second reply was by someone called Repost with the tagline "Search first," and this lovely avatar:

The third has 41 responses and 19 points for some reason.

Things seemed to go well enough until someone claimed that the RAM was soldered.

No it isn't.

Of course, this individual didn't provide a source, and nobody really asked for one.

"no upgrade equal garbage"

I provided four sources
BuyMoreChuck:
Quote:
Based on what I read on the Costco site, it looks like people were having Zoom issues. That was mentioned in the Black Friday deal.
The Black Friday post had around 1,750 responses.

Someone complained that the price had gone up and said "if tis going back down around 300 , will pick up !"

Why are five year-olds buying computers?

"I suppose it all comes down to whether the ram is risen upgradeable."
"are you sure about that?"
"Not absolutely sure, I saw it somewhere in the forums."
"i saw the exact opposite from the BF thread on this PC"
"not true ifixit did the tear down, 2 ram slots [...] can be replaced"

I cannot find an iFixIt video, but iFixIt linked a video that I shared by IT FIX.

All of those comments discussing whether or not you can use this heavily and nobody commented on whether or not you can use the microphone without it crashing annoyingly.

It sounds like this is some problem with HPs, tech support has you do all of the normal things that just waste your time, including reinstalling Windows, and then they blame all of those third-party programs that you are using.

Which seems more likely, several popular programs having the same issue rendering them unusable or laptops made by one manufacturer?

One HP employee tried to follow up and two different users presented solutions that worked for them, but hardly anyone responded to any of those three problem-solvers.

First of all, the problem is with the system microphone.

Can you use a headset safely?

Second, if the problem is with the build-in mic, is this just feedback?

Can feedback cause the computer to crash?

500 GB WD SSD for $50.
8 GB Samsung RAM module for $29.

Two of those should be adequate.

HP wants $200 for upgrades that I can buy for $108 and then I can sell the ones that I pulled.

Two possible problems with TCB: I turned off ad-blocking on their site, but one of the many times that I checked for my rebate it said that my ad-blocking [of HP.com?] could prevent me from receiving a rebate.

The other is that I bought the laptop and then saw the verification e-mail, so I recommend verifying and completely turning off ad-blocking.

In this case it was worth over $60.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thumbs-Down.png
Views:	97
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	29653  
Old 11-30-2020, 02:20 PM   #215 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

At Permalink #201 you were considering $1200 laptops. Now you're back to $300 price point?

Being between gigs, all I need is to find a [local] source for a $100 all-in-one to amuse myself to death. If you rely on it as a work machine, can you afford the downtime you are experiencing? I've had the same router running 24/7 for two decades (approx.).

Is the software you need for work free and open source? Okay, is it Windows specific?

Apple: "It just works"

Old 11-30-2020, 04:00 PM   #216 (permalink)
Not Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
At Permalink #201 you were considering $1200 laptops. Now you're back to $300 price point?
Yes!
That was exactly what happened!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Well, what kind of Black Friday deals does Costco have? $300 i5s?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh View Post

[...]
Is the software you need for work free and open source? Okay, is it Windows specific?
Zoom and Microsoft Word?

From what year are those ManBearPig bezels?!

Am I fat shaming bezels?!

Yes. yes I am.
Quote:
Originally Posted by free beard oil samples View Post
Apple: "It just works"
You mean, Apple: Paying for yesterday's technology for the rest of your life!
Old 11-30-2020, 06:40 PM   #217 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tomorrow's technology in yesterday's packaging. M1 is a first generation chip, Intel is on an eleventh iteration. Does anyone know yet what the machine learning part will lead to? What are those unlabeled blocks in the block diagram?

The most I paid for a computer was North of $5000 in the mid-1990s. The new Mini is $700-900.

The thing I like about the Raspberry Pi is you have to image the operating system yourself, so you don't have to worry about who might have opened the box before it got to you.

Old 11-30-2020, 09:57 PM   #218 (permalink)
Not Doug

HP had laptops like mine, but with 16 GB of RAM and a 512 GB SSD for $550. Mine plus the upgrades that I mentioned to bring it equal would cost $558, except now they charge $100 to upgrade the screen to FHD.

I paid $40.

Also, when I signed up for the extended warranty it said they would refund 100% if I didn't use it.

It doesn't say that anymore. It still counts, right?

Right?!

The one that I originally tried to buy is back for $450, but I think that a better processor is a fair change for a slower video card.

The comments were pretty much people complaining about a $450 laptop not coming with $450 graphics and people saying to pay another $250 for $450 graphics.
Old 11-30-2020, 11:31 PM   #219 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

So I may have to forego the 400 and settle for a Raspberry Pi 4 bare metal, and use a USB keyboard. The online sources run $140-180 according to DDG.

What do you think of these? 10 Alternative Raspberry Pi Operating Systems

Raspian XP might be familiar, NAS, boot to Basic, Amigaberry, the original gangster RISC OS, Chromium [not], RetroPi for a gaming platform, Windows 10 [not]. There are a lot of alternatives.

Old 01-12-2021, 11:28 AM   #220 (permalink)
Not Doug

My latest laptop arrived! :D

It seems about as thick and light as Mom's, although it is shallower--there is less space between the keyboard and the hinge, with smaller top and bottom bezels.

It has a lit keyboard! Yay!

However, it was much more expensive than either of the others, with the FHD it was $175 more than Mom's and $190 more than the last one that I bought. At that price point I felt that it made more sense to go for the extended warranty, especially since HP claimed they would refund it in full if I never used it, but I didn't get that in writing, so I am not counting on it.

The Ryzen 7 should definitely be faster than both $300 laptops. Hers came with 4 GB of RAM and somehow that seems adequate, although it got slower and slower the more that I used it while waiting for my previous one to arrive. Both of mine came with 8 and that often seemed inadequate, even though I never did as much as I would on more robust systems.

I ordered 16 GB of RAM and a 512 GB SSD at the same time and they arrived 5 weeks ago. Installation was easy, but I couldn't figure out how to image the old drive onto the new one. I found instructions and used Acronis to image the original drive onto an external, but only got errors when I tried to image it onto the new one. I ended up using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to put Win10 on a flash drive and installing it that way.

Am I missing out on any factory apps?

It is so clean!

I downloaded the two utilities that I found on HP.com.

I don't remember how I migrated everything to my newer $300 laptop. Looking at my post I had a crisis over the ethernet cable because I needed to think about whether I am creating an office in the shed or my bedroom--or all over the house like Dad did.

The shed is about where I need it, but I need to replace a 4x4 underneath, and that was on hold so that I could do all of my paperwork and keep my job. Of course, my supervisor keeps rejecting my reports, and refuses to tell me why.

That is part of why I am up right now instead of my usual tossing and turning. I kept trying to think of the different way this would work out and how I should handle it. That and the new neighbor's dog kept barking.

So, I spent over $90 for a gaming camcorder so that I can use my desktop. The only way that I can use my laptop is to put it in front of my television, but then it blocks part of it, and there were always things that I needed to use behind the laptop.

Also, my entire reason for replacing that laptop was that it periodically froze, and I didn’t want to deal with that while working.

I was having connection problems one day, ran out, grabbed my ethernet cable, and ran it through the house. The Internet works fine now. Curiously, I have problems with GIFs on Imgur, but YouTube and Zoom work fine!

Zoom!

I have not gone through my programs on my other laptop yet, but I downloaded that one.

Annoying, there isn’t a big download button. You need to click on Resources to go to the downloads page, but while they have 10 different versions, none are for Windows. There are versions for Outlook, browsers, Skype(!), mobile, etc., but I didn’t see anything standalone for Windows. I needed to find a link from a reputable third party.

I talked about setting up a desk in my room and moving my laptop back and forth to my shed office, but I don’t want a loft bed again, in case I throw out my back again. I want to build a Murphy bed under the loft, which I will use for storage, and put a fold-out table on the bed, but I cannot figure out how to make that work with a desktop. I could build a frame to hold it on the loft and buy longer cables, but I cannot figure out where to put the television, so it might make more sense to build a nice padded bench onto the bottom of my bed and keep my desktop where it is, but I cannot access the computer itself easily where it is, and my television is in the middle of the room.

I would feel much more comfortable with the television up against a wall! My spider-sense tingles whenever I think about trying to use the space behind it!

So, it seems to make more sense to put a real door and lock on the shed, and keep my desktop and beloved television out there.

As for that ethernet cable running through the house, I need to bury one going to the shed, and then I guess run another through the attic. If I use the external ethernet connection I just need a cable, but if I am not video conferencing then the main wifi should be adequate.

I talked about replacing my router and purchasing an access point. I did and the router works great. I haven’t used the access point. Whenever I need to use another laptop or a faster connection on my phone I use my laptop as a hotspot.

Curious, I had just submitted progress reports. At least this time I remembered to write progress reports for teleclients that will never sign signature sheets.

Maybe Acronis would have work if I paid for it, although I don’t like the idea of paying for something that I only expect to use once if there are alternatives.

Most of the directions that I found on-line started “Connect your new SSD with a USB adapter.”

I haven’t found any cables like the SATA adapters that I have. I have found enclosures and one card that looks a great deal like what I used to put an M.2 drive into my desktop, but instead of connecting to my motherboard it has a USB port.

I am considering buying an NVMe enclosure so that I can use my original SSD as an external hard drive. It took forever to copy things to and from my current one!

I looked at dozens of instructions for using an external hard drive and Acronis to clone an SSD, but they still said to connect the SSD to my USB port. I asked in a huge subreddit and one person answered, but did not respond to my reply. I thought that Kevin’s fanbase was active enough that someone useful might try to help me.

Kevin tried to sell me BitCoin.

One of the problems that I had trying to put my image on the new hard drive was that it said that I had a problem with my license and each time it asked for my 48-digit BitLocker code--twice.

Sure, let me just pull that up on my phone. E-mail. Password. Don’t ask for 30 days. Phone number. Wait for a code. Copy and paste the code. Wait. Got it!

I really wish that “Don’t ask for 30 days” part worked! Apparently Windows decided to encrypt my hard drive and I needed to log into my phone, request a code, wait, and put in a 48-digit code each time that I booted, and with a new computer, it needs to reboot often.

I turned off encryption.

When I looked up the easiest way to migrate my stuff everything said to use the cloud. First of all, I am transferring more than the 5-10GB they offer for free. Second, I feel confident that my external hard drive is faster than my Internet connection, which may be metered. Like I did with cloning my SSD I added “with external hard drive” to my search and I found results saying “You could use an external hard drive, but just use the cloud!”

No.

Finally I found something saying to use File History, so I did.

Do you ever go to tap on something on your phone, but it hasn’t fully loaded, and between when you decide to tap and when you actually tap something else loaded and you hit the wrong button? Something like that happened and all of a sudden the option to load my backup was gone. I couldn’t figure out how to bring it back, but the backup wasn’t encrypted, so I just copied the folders to my new hard drive.

I copied World of Warcraft to the external and then the new hard drive.

I still have 352 GB free.

The subreddit where I asked for help with my computer had a Discord server and I felt that would be the fastest way to get help. Weirdly, all that loaded were rules. I couldn’t find any other channels, but I finally wondered what would happen if I gave the rules a thumbs-up. For some reason thousands of other people had.

Apparently you need to do that in order to actually do anything.

So, I got in and asked my question.

“Did you read the rules?”
“Yes, but…”
“Yes, but did you read the rules?”

I finally got the Rule Police to move on.

“Yeah, don’t clone an HDD onto an SSD, that always fails.”
“Who said anything about an HDD?! I am cloning an SSD!”
“Yeah, don’t do that, it will fail!”
“You are wasting my time. Goodbye.”

He responded, but I had already left.

I cloned my desktop HDD onto an SSD a year ago. I haven’t had a problem!

I joined the Linus Tech Tips Discord, but they were too busy sharing memes. I didn’t know what to do besides ask in Kevin’s Discord and hope that someone happened to know computers and like real estate (or whatever Kevin is currently peddling) and someone did try to help me, but that was when I decided to install the HP utilities and move on.

Well, I am going to see what programs I have on my other laptop that I want to install here and then look for the box in which that one came.

I need to send it back!