View Single Post
Old 11-30-2020, 12:15 PM   #26 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
Time to install fuel injection and some kind of catalytic converter on your KZ400?

Or run propane and forget about it.
The problem with fuel injection is that to be much cleaner that a carb you need a closed loop system with feedback from an O2 sensor. It is a lot of work to fabricate and install a complete new intake and exhaust system and then tune it to run right. Even then the emission improvements will be modest - maybe only 25 times worse than a modern car.

I've thought of propane - much simpler for some pretty good emission improvements. The problem there is finding room for a propane tank of suitable size. I could always do the propane cylinder "saddlebag" method.

I've also thought of doing a sidecar which would provide plenty of room for some tanks.

The bigger problem is that the KZ400 is by any objective measure a pretty crappy motorcycle compared to anything remotely modern. The power is anemic, the brakes suck, and the suspension is basically poggo sticks. So why bother trying to turn an ancient 45 year old motorcycle into something remotely modern when a 2020 Honda CB300 will do everything better for less than $5K new or half that used?